- RT @_Ms_Moore_: SO proud of my student, Julia Shen, for winning 1st place in the @cityofmarkham Many Faces of Markham competition! Julia cr… 6 hours ago
- We are saddened to hear of an act of hate against a synagogue in Thornhill. #YRDSB stands with all our communities… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- RT @YRDSB_Students: IT'S HERE! YOUR TIME TO BE THE NEXT YRDSB STUDENT TRUSTEE! It's time to be the voice of over 123,000 students. It's tim… 10 hours ago
- Have you signed up to attend a Town Hall yet? Our Board of Trustees are looking for your input as the revise the Mu… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- #DYK that there are co-ops in the sciences? Check out this interview with one of our students, Sohnia, talking abou… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- Congratulations Sarah! twitter.com/YSpaceYU/statu… 12 hours ago
- Today is #WorldWaterDay and it serves as a reminder for all of us that when we neglect our ecosystems, we make it h… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- #EarthHour is just a few days away! #YRDSB will be observing Earth Hour in our schools and workplaces on Friday Mar… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Today we observe the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination. "Every day, each and every one… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @OCT_OEEO: On our 15th floor: we proudly display art by Stouffville District Secondary School students depicting #MentalHealth and #Well… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
The Non Office Day
February 16, 2011Posted by on
A few weeks ago, an interesting idea caught my eye while reading postings from my professional learning network members on Twitter: the non office day. A few principals in the States and Canada talked about how they set aside a full day in their schools to be in classrooms, hallways and outside at recess. Tomorrow, I am going to try it at Lorna Jackson. Barring an emergency situation, I hope to spend the entire day outside of the school office. I am going to try to focus solely on celebrating the work our staff and students are doing in the building. The staff have been great at asking me to come in for visits and I have a full day scheduled including: a visit to both kindergarten rooms, a primary reading session, a junior math lesson and intermediate language activities. I also know that this will provide me with a lot of rich learning.
Looking forward to tomorrow.