- RT @iclarkeyclarke: Walked into @YRDSB CLL and greeted by a wall of inspiration....#educhat #education #leadership #artsed https://t.co/cBp… 4 hours ago
- REMINDER - Friday, October 20 is a #PA day for #YRDSB elementary and secondary schools. 7 hours ago
- TONIGHT - #YRDSB Board Standing Committee meeting. Oct 17 at 7:00PM. Agenda available at: ow.ly/nHxb30fWaQC https://t.co/Vyg6XovoaU 8 hours ago
- Have a great idea for an article on student well-being? Make a submission to the #YRDSBQuest Journal by Nov 10 !… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Today is the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty. Together we can create peaceful and inclusive societies. @UN #EndPoverty 10 hours ago
- Time for #TextbookTuesday! Check out this high school book-keeping text from 1890 with the latest & greatest accoun… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- October is Child Abuse Prevention Month! Let’s work together to keep kids safe & wear purple on Oct 24 to show your… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Time for a #SchoolBusSafetyWeek tip! Remind your children to look both ways before they step off the bus. #STOPONRED https://t.co/xL6CO39lJi 1 day ago
- It's Waste Reduction Week! Show us how you're eliminating waste & join in the conversation with #WasteReductionWeek… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @yrdsbinclusion: Excited to launch our @yrdsbinclusion Twitter account. Follow us and join our learning journey. #yrdsb #equity #ontedeq… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Creating a culture of learning
March 4, 2011Posted by on
Today they hosted a session in the “Assessment for Learning” project with another school. As a team of a dozen people we met together at our school to think about math. The day was structured to allow us to co plan a lesson based on the California Frog Jumping Contest which we then delivered in the classroom. The lesson explored algebraic relationships based on frog jumps and steps. Some of us taught the lesson, while others of us observed student conversations, problem solving and evidence of learning. The students did a wonderful job inviting us in and letting us be part of the activity. They were so focussed and collaborative throughout the day. They didn’t let a large group of visitors stop them in sharing their ideas. I applaud their maturity.
We then had a chance to see what the students discovered through the lesson in work samples. In the afternoon, we met again as a whole class to share the results and think about next steps. Another teacher from another school who has been part of the project for some time now, joined us and worked with us in the debrief.
It was a day of co learning about math, mathematical concepts and the teaching of mathematics.
We are one of several schools in our board that have been invited to this project funded by the Ministry of Education. It was wonderful to be part of the learning today and I look forward to more sessions planned for the coming months.
Image used with permission under Creative Commons