- Have you applied for @YRDSBArtsCamp? Space is limited and time is running out! Deadline = Feb 9.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 minutes ago
- Does your teacher make history come alive? Nominate them today! twitter.com/CanadasHistory… 50 minutes ago
- RT @camillelogan: @doncrestps choir starts off the #BlackHistoryMonth event @cityofmarkham @YRDSB @maccamarkham https://t.co/WgHbnWXaZ8 1 hour ago
- @fivefortheDr We're sorry to hear your son's bus did not arrive. Please send us a DM with further details so we can… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- The warmest of welcomes to all our new students! Welcome to #YRDSB! twitter.com/YRDSB_IES/stat… 2 hours ago
- Only 9 months left until #YRDSBQuest 2018! twitter.com/TLX_ED/status/… 3 hours ago
- It's almost time to imagine, create and play for family literacy day! This year, the five #YRDSB Early ON Centres a… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- RT @camillelogan: Another amazing @AEBSyrdsb fundraiser! Great food, music and dancing for a great cause! @YRDSB @yrdsbinclusion https://t.… 5 hours ago
- RT @yrdsbdlrt: This week’s 5T Challenge - List and Grid View in Google Drive 1. Watch the TECH TIP 2. TRY it 3. ReTWEET & type “I did it!”… 6 hours ago
- School bus and taxi service will operate today, January 22, 2018, and schools remain open for learning. 9 hours ago
New frontiers for new learning
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs
December 2, 2012Posted by on
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs are rapidly expanding throughout the York Region District School Board. We now have 28 of 31 secondary schools offering these valuable programs and next year, we hope to see 30 of 31 schools running one or more SHSM programs . The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) allows students to specialize in a specific economic sector (e.g. Health and Wellness, Business, Manufacturing, Arts & Culture, etc) while fulfilling all requirements for their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). 100% of students in SHSM programs have had an enhanced educational experience with contextualized learning, and additional experiential learning to enable them to make more informed post-secondary destination decisions. Grade 7 & 8 students and their families are encouraged to browse through the SHSM literature to investigate some programs that may be of interest to them.
Secondary schools will be sharing SHSM information at their Grade 8 Open Houses for families.
To learn more about SHSM, please visit:
Just a reminder that the Grade 8 Information Night for secondary school (for 2013 enrollment) at Emily Carr S.S. had been scheduled for January 22, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. and at Woodbridge College S.S. for January 17, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. If you are the parent or guardian of a grade eight student who you anticipate will be attending Emily Carr S.S., please mark down this date. Additional details will be shared in the weeks and months to come.
Additional information about high school transition can be found on our Programs and Pathways page of our blog.