- ICYMI: Join Trustee Pang & Board Chair Carruthers for a #CoffeeChat in Unionville today from 3-5PM. Details:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- October 19 is #SpiritDay! Wear purple tomorrow to celebrate #LGBTQ youth and to take a stand against bullying! https://t.co/DBMDpnzqom 18 hours ago
- RT @AldergrovePS: @YRDSB @YRDSBArts This video captures the intentional & purposeful planning that goes into the murals & art at Aldergrove… 20 hours ago
- TOMORROW - #YRDSB Special Education Advisory Committee Meeting. Oct 19 at 7:00PM. Agenda available at:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 21 hours ago
- RT @YRDSBGetOut: Hey @YRDSB! Look at all the amazing, engaged educators at our Outdoor Education Advisory Committee Meeting!! https://t.co/… 21 hours ago
- RT @YouthON: In Ontario, it’s the law to report #childabuse. See it? Report it. It’s the law. https://t.co/dK8RexVqzj 23 hours ago
- Today Canada mourns the loss of an icon who will be missed fully and completely. #RIPGordDownie https://t.co/1G68WKBwfc 1 day ago
- To all those celebrating #Diwali, we would like to wish you and your families a very happy celebration! 1 day ago
- RT @iclarkeyclarke: Walked into @YRDSB CLL and greeted by a wall of inspiration....#educhat #education #leadership #artsed https://t.co/cBp… 1 day ago
- REMINDER - Friday, October 20 is a #PA day for #YRDSB elementary and secondary schools. 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs
December 2, 2012Posted by on
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs are rapidly expanding throughout the York Region District School Board. We now have 28 of 31 secondary schools offering these valuable programs and next year, we hope to see 30 of 31 schools running one or more SHSM programs . The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) allows students to specialize in a specific economic sector (e.g. Health and Wellness, Business, Manufacturing, Arts & Culture, etc) while fulfilling all requirements for their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). 100% of students in SHSM programs have had an enhanced educational experience with contextualized learning, and additional experiential learning to enable them to make more informed post-secondary destination decisions. Grade 7 & 8 students and their families are encouraged to browse through the SHSM literature to investigate some programs that may be of interest to them.
Secondary schools will be sharing SHSM information at their Grade 8 Open Houses for families.
To learn more about SHSM, please visit:
Just a reminder that the Grade 8 Information Night for secondary school (for 2013 enrollment) at Emily Carr S.S. had been scheduled for January 22, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. and at Woodbridge College S.S. for January 17, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. If you are the parent or guardian of a grade eight student who you anticipate will be attending Emily Carr S.S., please mark down this date. Additional details will be shared in the weeks and months to come.
Additional information about high school transition can be found on our Programs and Pathways page of our blog.