- RT @PatriciaEGaspar: YRDSB Childrens Water Festival @yrdsb @YRDSBEcoSchools @yorkregionnews @YorkRegionGovt #kcss https://t.co/8MvAuPZ3Gq 12 hours ago
- Looking for some fun activities to do in August? Check out the 2017 #OntarioFunPass for all kinds of exciting deals… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- RT @ONedSsChat: @ONedSsChat #onted Ss learn how social media can be used to make a positive difference in the lives of others. Pls RT! #Stu… 16 hours ago
- RT @DungeyTod: Outdoor play time @YRDSB BBFK @VelloreWoods includes opportunities 4 learning in everything they do #yrdsbearlyyears #summer… 17 hours ago
- RT @HealthCanada: Kids are most vulnerable to extreme heat! Whether you’re provider or parent, be heat ready! ow.ly/icZy30dOr7H https… 18 hours ago
- ICYMI: #YRDSB is hiring Educational Assistants! Get your applications in today. Details: ow.ly/xAVl30dMrn7 #EA EducationalAssistant 1 day ago
- RT @ms_ldavidson: Last week at camp we traveled around the world and learned about the importance of story telling in different cultures #y… 1 day ago
- Youth Innovation by Design Students listen to professional podcaster @thejaywong & learn ways to expand personal br… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Congratulations #TeamOntario! #NAIG2017 twitter.com/IndigenousON/s… 1 day ago
- ICYMI: @CarolCampbell4 will be at #YRDSBQuest 2017! Will you? Registration is now open: ow.ly/fPuQ30dKxL6… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs
December 2, 2012Posted by on
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs are rapidly expanding throughout the York Region District School Board. We now have 28 of 31 secondary schools offering these valuable programs and next year, we hope to see 30 of 31 schools running one or more SHSM programs . The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) allows students to specialize in a specific economic sector (e.g. Health and Wellness, Business, Manufacturing, Arts & Culture, etc) while fulfilling all requirements for their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). 100% of students in SHSM programs have had an enhanced educational experience with contextualized learning, and additional experiential learning to enable them to make more informed post-secondary destination decisions. Grade 7 & 8 students and their families are encouraged to browse through the SHSM literature to investigate some programs that may be of interest to them.
Secondary schools will be sharing SHSM information at their Grade 8 Open Houses for families.
To learn more about SHSM, please visit:
Just a reminder that the Grade 8 Information Night for secondary school (for 2013 enrollment) at Emily Carr S.S. had been scheduled for January 22, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. and at Woodbridge College S.S. for January 17, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. If you are the parent or guardian of a grade eight student who you anticipate will be attending Emily Carr S.S., please mark down this date. Additional details will be shared in the weeks and months to come.
Additional information about high school transition can be found on our Programs and Pathways page of our blog.