- RT @yrdsbinclusion: Please join us for the upcoming EIAC community consultations. Check out flyers below for information & details. Third I… 3 hours ago
- RT @YorkRegionGovt: Is your school participating in #BikeToSchool Week? Private schools in York Region, @YRDSB and @YCDSB schools can regis… 3 hours ago
- TONIGHT - We will be @MHS_YRDSB hosting a town hall and gathering critical feedback to help influence the #YRDSB Mu… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- Our sincerest condolences to Renuka's family and @tdsb. Our thoughts are with your communities and families. twitter.com/tdsb/status/98… 7 hours ago
- RT @MsB_ELL: So proud of our Parkview students who got an honourable mention today for best picture at the water documentary film festival!… 7 hours ago
- Students and staff from @MillikenMHS will be taking it outside for #EarthDay and engaging in tangible environmental… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- @MillikenMHS will be taking it outside for #EarthDay and engaging in tangible environmental action projects through… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Today we honour the administrative staff that work behind the scenes in our Board to support student achievement an… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- There's still time to register for #YRDSBOurVoice2018! Get your registrations in by 12PM today. The event will take… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- Amazing! When life gives you lemons, make lemonade... Or in this case when life gives you an ice storm, make a stic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs
December 2, 2012Posted by on
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs are rapidly expanding throughout the York Region District School Board. We now have 28 of 31 secondary schools offering these valuable programs and next year, we hope to see 30 of 31 schools running one or more SHSM programs . The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) allows students to specialize in a specific economic sector (e.g. Health and Wellness, Business, Manufacturing, Arts & Culture, etc) while fulfilling all requirements for their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). 100% of students in SHSM programs have had an enhanced educational experience with contextualized learning, and additional experiential learning to enable them to make more informed post-secondary destination decisions. Grade 7 & 8 students and their families are encouraged to browse through the SHSM literature to investigate some programs that may be of interest to them.
Secondary schools will be sharing SHSM information at their Grade 8 Open Houses for families.
To learn more about SHSM, please visit:
Just a reminder that the Grade 8 Information Night for secondary school (for 2013 enrollment) at Emily Carr S.S. had been scheduled for January 22, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. and at Woodbridge College S.S. for January 17, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. If you are the parent or guardian of a grade eight student who you anticipate will be attending Emily Carr S.S., please mark down this date. Additional details will be shared in the weeks and months to come.
Additional information about high school transition can be found on our Programs and Pathways page of our blog.