- Louise is wrapping up at CLL and getting ready to head over to our Plant Services building! https://t.co/hewoW20u0m 9 minutes ago
- Louise is working her way through CLL meeting curriculum consultants, admin assistants, administrators and all the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 42 minutes ago
- The tour continues! Louise stopped in to an EA Professional Development session at our Centre for Leadership and Le… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 54 minutes ago
- Our new Director Louise Sirisko is out visiting Board sites today and getting to know the staff behind the scenes!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- RT @camillelogan: Great participation @MillikenMHS for the @YRDSB anti-Black racism consultation forum @YRDSBCECEast https://t.co/Gfwcgx8QZA 3 hours ago
- RT @Thomasci: Congrats @FossilHillPS @MapleCreekPS @MorningGloryPS & @WilshireES on receiving the 2018 #IGNITETechGrant Elementary Awards!… 20 hours ago
- RT @YRDSBEarlyYears: YRDSB Early Years and ESL Teams are excited to share a new resource for families of children in Kindergarten. "Talking… 23 hours ago
- Here's a sneak peek behind the scenes with our new Director @LouiseSirisko . Stay tuned for the feature presentatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Do you know a school team doing amazing work to foster a safe, inclusive and accepting school environment? Nominate… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Feeling the stress of exams? Did you know that if you study for a test in small chunks, you'll be more likely to re… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
March 22, 2013Posted by on
Today, we celebrated Earth Hour both as a school and as a school board. Our Director Ken Thurston shared his own thoughts today that we welcome you to read. Ken reminds us of our efforts as a board in the area of environmental awareness and action. We had out lights off (other than for safety) from 12:30 to 1:30. We enjoyed the opportunity to let the sunshine pour in our windows and celebrate our lunch hour in natural light. Over the past year, we are proud of the work we have done as a school. We must remember that our actions can be relatively simple such as:
– Our classes using GOOS paper – Good on One side paper for reusing. We love how our office staff do this for our fax machine paper.
Recycled materials can easily be used for art activities or inquiries in class. Here is one example of a classroom that has organized various materials for classroom use all of which were donated or recycled items.
We also have larger scale initiatives to support our work such as our Waste Reduction Plan that each YRDSB school revisits on a yearly basis. We estimate that this blog itself saves us around 15000 sheets of paper a year. Most importantly, our students have taken the lead with so many initiatives through our Eco Team.
Finally, we encourage your families to take part this week. Vaughan is hosting it’s own Earth Hour celebrations tomorrow.