- RT @iclarkeyclarke: Walked into @YRDSB CLL and greeted by a wall of inspiration....#educhat #education #leadership #artsed https://t.co/cBp… 4 hours ago
- REMINDER - Friday, October 20 is a #PA day for #YRDSB elementary and secondary schools. 7 hours ago
- TONIGHT - #YRDSB Board Standing Committee meeting. Oct 17 at 7:00PM. Agenda available at: ow.ly/nHxb30fWaQC https://t.co/Vyg6XovoaU 8 hours ago
- Have a great idea for an article on student well-being? Make a submission to the #YRDSBQuest Journal by Nov 10 !… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Today is the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty. Together we can create peaceful and inclusive societies. @UN #EndPoverty 10 hours ago
- Time for #TextbookTuesday! Check out this high school book-keeping text from 1890 with the latest & greatest accoun… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- October is Child Abuse Prevention Month! Let’s work together to keep kids safe & wear purple on Oct 24 to show your… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Time for a #SchoolBusSafetyWeek tip! Remind your children to look both ways before they step off the bus. #STOPONRED https://t.co/xL6CO39lJi 1 day ago
- It's Waste Reduction Week! Show us how you're eliminating waste & join in the conversation with #WasteReductionWeek… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @yrdsbinclusion: Excited to launch our @yrdsbinclusion Twitter account. Follow us and join our learning journey. #yrdsb #equity #ontedeq… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
March 22, 2013Posted by on
Today, we celebrated Earth Hour both as a school and as a school board. Our Director Ken Thurston shared his own thoughts today that we welcome you to read. Ken reminds us of our efforts as a board in the area of environmental awareness and action. We had out lights off (other than for safety) from 12:30 to 1:30. We enjoyed the opportunity to let the sunshine pour in our windows and celebrate our lunch hour in natural light. Over the past year, we are proud of the work we have done as a school. We must remember that our actions can be relatively simple such as:
– Our classes using GOOS paper – Good on One side paper for reusing. We love how our office staff do this for our fax machine paper.
Recycled materials can easily be used for art activities or inquiries in class. Here is one example of a classroom that has organized various materials for classroom use all of which were donated or recycled items.
We also have larger scale initiatives to support our work such as our Waste Reduction Plan that each YRDSB school revisits on a yearly basis. We estimate that this blog itself saves us around 15000 sheets of paper a year. Most importantly, our students have taken the lead with so many initiatives through our Eco Team.
Finally, we encourage your families to take part this week. Vaughan is hosting it’s own Earth Hour celebrations tomorrow.