- ICYMI: Join Trustee Pang & Board Chair Carruthers for a #CoffeeChat in Unionville today from 3-5PM. Details:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- October 19 is #SpiritDay! Wear purple tomorrow to celebrate #LGBTQ youth and to take a stand against bullying! https://t.co/DBMDpnzqom 18 hours ago
- RT @AldergrovePS: @YRDSB @YRDSBArts This video captures the intentional & purposeful planning that goes into the murals & art at Aldergrove… 20 hours ago
- TOMORROW - #YRDSB Special Education Advisory Committee Meeting. Oct 19 at 7:00PM. Agenda available at:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 21 hours ago
- RT @YRDSBGetOut: Hey @YRDSB! Look at all the amazing, engaged educators at our Outdoor Education Advisory Committee Meeting!! https://t.co/… 22 hours ago
- RT @YouthON: In Ontario, it’s the law to report #childabuse. See it? Report it. It’s the law. https://t.co/dK8RexVqzj 23 hours ago
- Today Canada mourns the loss of an icon who will be missed fully and completely. #RIPGordDownie https://t.co/1G68WKBwfc 1 day ago
- To all those celebrating #Diwali, we would like to wish you and your families a very happy celebration! 1 day ago
- RT @iclarkeyclarke: Walked into @YRDSB CLL and greeted by a wall of inspiration....#educhat #education #leadership #artsed https://t.co/cBp… 1 day ago
- REMINDER - Friday, October 20 is a #PA day for #YRDSB elementary and secondary schools. 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Who we are
March 28, 2013Posted by on
We had a great night here at Lorna Jackson Public School. We extend our appreciation to our school council for running our Movie Night this evening. Over 250 students and family members joined us as a community. Special thanks to one parent who even loaned us the popcorn cart for our festivities. We were also delighted to be able to showcase our new mural – The Gathering Tree – recently completed. Once again, we thank our parent artist Mrs Guido for her vision and for inspiring our students to create a beautiful centerpiece in our main foyer.
We have really celebrated our community this past month. With a decade of good work completed as a school community, and with Elder’s Mills students and families set to join us in September, now is a perfect time to dream about where we go next.
We will announce a very special initiative soon that I am most excited about.
In advance of the initiative, I would like us to begin with a concept we use in education called “Minds On” which is a strategy that allows us to:
• establish a positive learning environment
• connect to prior learning and/or experiences
• set a context for learning
For this “virtual Minds On”, I want us to consider the following two points:
– Who are “we” as an LJPS community?
– What do we believe in as an LJPS community?
Feel free to respond here with your thoughts.
Your thoughts will very much help us in the work we are about to engage in next month.
If you have enjoyed what we have done so far…..
………..we think you are really going to love what we have planned next.