- RT @PatriciaEGaspar: YRDSB Childrens Water Festival @yrdsb @YRDSBEcoSchools @yorkregionnews @YorkRegionGovt #kcss https://t.co/8MvAuPZ3Gq 12 hours ago
- Looking for some fun activities to do in August? Check out the 2017 #OntarioFunPass for all kinds of exciting deals… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- RT @ONedSsChat: @ONedSsChat #onted Ss learn how social media can be used to make a positive difference in the lives of others. Pls RT! #Stu… 16 hours ago
- RT @DungeyTod: Outdoor play time @YRDSB BBFK @VelloreWoods includes opportunities 4 learning in everything they do #yrdsbearlyyears #summer… 17 hours ago
- RT @HealthCanada: Kids are most vulnerable to extreme heat! Whether you’re provider or parent, be heat ready! ow.ly/icZy30dOr7H https… 18 hours ago
- ICYMI: #YRDSB is hiring Educational Assistants! Get your applications in today. Details: ow.ly/xAVl30dMrn7 #EA EducationalAssistant 1 day ago
- RT @ms_ldavidson: Last week at camp we traveled around the world and learned about the importance of story telling in different cultures #y… 1 day ago
- Youth Innovation by Design Students listen to professional podcaster @thejaywong & learn ways to expand personal br… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Congratulations #TeamOntario! #NAIG2017 twitter.com/IndigenousON/s… 1 day ago
- ICYMI: @CarolCampbell4 will be at #YRDSBQuest 2017! Will you? Registration is now open: ow.ly/fPuQ30dKxL6… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
Who we are
March 28, 2013Posted by on
We had a great night here at Lorna Jackson Public School. We extend our appreciation to our school council for running our Movie Night this evening. Over 250 students and family members joined us as a community. Special thanks to one parent who even loaned us the popcorn cart for our festivities. We were also delighted to be able to showcase our new mural – The Gathering Tree – recently completed. Once again, we thank our parent artist Mrs Guido for her vision and for inspiring our students to create a beautiful centerpiece in our main foyer.
We have really celebrated our community this past month. With a decade of good work completed as a school community, and with Elder’s Mills students and families set to join us in September, now is a perfect time to dream about where we go next.
We will announce a very special initiative soon that I am most excited about.
In advance of the initiative, I would like us to begin with a concept we use in education called “Minds On” which is a strategy that allows us to:
• establish a positive learning environment
• connect to prior learning and/or experiences
• set a context for learning
For this “virtual Minds On”, I want us to consider the following two points:
– Who are “we” as an LJPS community?
– What do we believe in as an LJPS community?
Feel free to respond here with your thoughts.
Your thoughts will very much help us in the work we are about to engage in next month.
If you have enjoyed what we have done so far…..
………..we think you are really going to love what we have planned next.