- RT @Ms_Karnad: Hey @WOWYorkRegion just reiterated the meaningful conference you’ve planned for May with @CedarwoodPS Leadership Team @YRDSB… 12 hours ago
- ICYMI: There's still time to register for #YRDSBOurVoice2018? Don't miss your chance to have your student voice hea… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- Yesterday we had the pleasure of honouring teachers from across our system for for their outstanding service as edu… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago
- #YRDSB this weekend we celebrate #EarthDay2018! Even though we wont be in the classroom you can still do your part… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 17 hours ago
- RT @becky_green_e: Incredible night at Hartman PS celebrating 10 years! What a show - singing, mass choir, instrumental, Bollywood dance an… 18 hours ago
- Way to go @WRPS_YRDSB! twitter.com/YorkRegionGovt… 1 day ago
- Calling all secondary #YRDSB students! Have you registered for #YRDSBOurVoice2018 yet? There's still time! Don't mi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- ICYMI: Yesterday our students engaged with the Workforce Planning Board of YR, artists, @TownofNewmarket represent… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- A huge thank you to everyone who attended our first #YRDSBTownHall last night! We had an amazing turnout with over… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @pines_ps: Amazing night at SPIFF. Silver Pines came together to put on an inspirational night. Our after party games like the gender to… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Who we are
March 28, 2013Posted by on
We had a great night here at Lorna Jackson Public School. We extend our appreciation to our school council for running our Movie Night this evening. Over 250 students and family members joined us as a community. Special thanks to one parent who even loaned us the popcorn cart for our festivities. We were also delighted to be able to showcase our new mural – The Gathering Tree – recently completed. Once again, we thank our parent artist Mrs Guido for her vision and for inspiring our students to create a beautiful centerpiece in our main foyer.
We have really celebrated our community this past month. With a decade of good work completed as a school community, and with Elder’s Mills students and families set to join us in September, now is a perfect time to dream about where we go next.
We will announce a very special initiative soon that I am most excited about.
In advance of the initiative, I would like us to begin with a concept we use in education called “Minds On” which is a strategy that allows us to:
• establish a positive learning environment
• connect to prior learning and/or experiences
• set a context for learning
For this “virtual Minds On”, I want us to consider the following two points:
– Who are “we” as an LJPS community?
– What do we believe in as an LJPS community?
Feel free to respond here with your thoughts.
Your thoughts will very much help us in the work we are about to engage in next month.
If you have enjoyed what we have done so far…..
………..we think you are really going to love what we have planned next.