- February 18 is Family Day! Yay! Check out all school holidays and important dates in our Learning Calendar:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- #DYK, flag experts (vexillologists) often cite the flag of Canada as one of the world's most beautiful based on its… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Become a lifeguard and swim instructor. Registration is open for the YRDSB Aquatic Leadership Program Part 2 Course… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- It's National Flag of Canada Day! On Feb 15, 1965 Canada's flag was raised for the first time. In 1996, Parliament… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Winter Night School classes start tonight, Thurs Feb 14, at the Dr. Bette Stephenson Centre for Learning in Richmon… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- We are hiring for several positions, including a School Assistant (Lunch-Time Supervisor) at Wellington Public Scho… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- RT @DPS_YRDSB: A HUGE Thank You to the staff members and Parent Volunteer who helped prepare 200 delicious cupcakes being given out as Swee… 2 days ago
- RT @yrdsb_skills: Round 3 of the @YRDSB elementary robotics @TheWoodsPS is underway! #yrsc2019 https://t.co/obhFunPmo3 2 days ago
- RT @yrdsb_skills: Judges and coaches are prepped as we begin our @YRDSB robotics qualifier #YRSC2019 @TheWoodsPS ! https://t.co/yLgKJYGN46 2 days ago
- RT @yrdsb_schomberg: Kindness Club at Schomberg Public School raising money for the Hospital for Sick Children on Valentine’s Day! @yrdsb_s… 2 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
School Council Forum follow up
May 1, 2013Posted by on
At the West School Council forum in April, there was a presentation on social media for parents. The presentation was shared by one of our board staff and he has kindly offered to share it with our community. The presentation shared some of the challenges and cautions for all of us with regards to technology and concluded with some of the valuable ways we can use social media to positively impact the work we do.
One way our board is working on supporting students and teachers with these new frontiers for new learning is through what we call our Knowledge Skills and Attitudes standards, namely:
1. Creativity and Innovation
2. Communication and Collaboration
3. Research and Information Fluency
4. Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision
5. Digital Citizenship
6. Technology Operations and Concepts
The notion of digital citizenship is worth careful consideration as we all work together to support our learners in developing safe and responsible uses of technology.
We also thank our police partners in York Region for their tips for parents on “Be Net Aware”.
Let us know what you think of the presentation document.