- Registration for Adult Day School Quad 1 is on August 27th from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm at Dr. Bette Stephenson Centre f… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 12 hours ago
- Welcome to all our international students! We hope you have an amazing school year! twitter.com/YRDSB_IES/stat… 15 hours ago
- This year the #YRDSBQuest conference is pleased offer sponsorship opportunities! Interested in engaging with over 1… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- @oneofeach74 Hello, can you send us a DM with details so we can help? Thank you. 4 days ago
- Go check out this amazing project! twitter.com/cityofmarkham/… 4 days ago
- The 2018-19 Guide To The School Year is now available online! Check out this year's guide and get prepped to head b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- @rntt1 Hello, all the information regarding course offerings are under the menu items on the left side of the page… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- Interested in becoming a Personal Support Worker? Registration for the full-time fall #PSW program opens August 28.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- RT @mfrank_76: #congratulations @Kauldergrove on being recipient 2017-18 @ETFOeducators #NewMemberAward - A deeply dedicated & enthusiastic… 6 days ago
- The staff at the #YRDSBMuseum are gearing up to welcome back our students! T-Minus 21 days and counting!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
School Council Forum follow up
May 1, 2013Posted by on
At the West School Council forum in April, there was a presentation on social media for parents. The presentation was shared by one of our board staff and he has kindly offered to share it with our community. The presentation shared some of the challenges and cautions for all of us with regards to technology and concluded with some of the valuable ways we can use social media to positively impact the work we do.
One way our board is working on supporting students and teachers with these new frontiers for new learning is through what we call our Knowledge Skills and Attitudes standards, namely:
1. Creativity and Innovation
2. Communication and Collaboration
3. Research and Information Fluency
4. Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision
5. Digital Citizenship
6. Technology Operations and Concepts
The notion of digital citizenship is worth careful consideration as we all work together to support our learners in developing safe and responsible uses of technology.
We also thank our police partners in York Region for their tips for parents on “Be Net Aware”.
Let us know what you think of the presentation document.