- Long weekend ahead! Have a great three days off and we'll see you back in the classroom on Tuesday! #VictoriaDay https://t.co/inSWeLGQRS 3 days ago
- #DYK that #YRDSB offers international language courses where you can learn to read, write and speak a new language?… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- RT @YorkRegionGovt: @YRDSB @YCDSB and Private schools can STILL register for #BikeToSchool Week: May 28-June 1. Participate &#BikeYorkRegio… 3 days ago
- We are deeply saddened to hear about the tragedy in Santa Fe, #Texas. Our thoughts and hearts are with all those af… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- From March to May 2017, all #YRDSB students in Grades 5 to 12 were invited to participate in the YRDSB School Clima… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- RT @Mrs_Snobel: @RogersPS1 the #primarystudents are having a #royalteaparty in the #outdoorclassroom @YRDSB @YRDSBGetOut #primaryrocks #sch… 3 days ago
- RT @Thomasci: It’s Better Speech&Hearing Month! DYK...infants w/ hearing loss identified & receiving intervention by the age of 6 months pe… 3 days ago
- RT @YRP: Thanks to @CircleKStores and graffiti artist Wong for supporting youth in our community. Students from @YRDSB Deer Park PS in Geor… 4 days ago
- @MuslimRana4710 No such luck, but summer is right around the corner! 4 days ago
- Well said Jin Zhou! Such an inspiring and well spoken young man. #ChiefForADay twitter.com/YRDSBDirector/… 4 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
School Council Forum follow up
May 1, 2013Posted by on
At the West School Council forum in April, there was a presentation on social media for parents. The presentation was shared by one of our board staff and he has kindly offered to share it with our community. The presentation shared some of the challenges and cautions for all of us with regards to technology and concluded with some of the valuable ways we can use social media to positively impact the work we do.
One way our board is working on supporting students and teachers with these new frontiers for new learning is through what we call our Knowledge Skills and Attitudes standards, namely:
1. Creativity and Innovation
2. Communication and Collaboration
3. Research and Information Fluency
4. Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision
5. Digital Citizenship
6. Technology Operations and Concepts
The notion of digital citizenship is worth careful consideration as we all work together to support our learners in developing safe and responsible uses of technology.
We also thank our police partners in York Region for their tips for parents on “Be Net Aware”.
Let us know what you think of the presentation document.