- Planning ahead? Find all 2017-18 #YRDSB holidays & PA Days here: ow.ly/GAwf30dMucT https://t.co/btTuVkIk4m 2 days ago
- Youth Innovation by Design Students are changing the game one #App at a time! yorkregion.com/news-story/742… 2 days ago
- We are hiring Educational Assistants. Apply today to join the #YRDSB team! Details: ow.ly/xAVl30dMrn7 #EducationalAssistant #EA 3 days ago
- Youth Innovation by Design Students working with robotics and putting their passions to the test! #innovation… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- Rediscover your inner child at the #YRDSBQuest Playground & explore well-being in a hands on environment! Register:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- Have your voice heard and help make Ontario #accessible for everyone! twitter.com/ONeducation/st… 3 days ago
- RT @TRCAarchaeology: With drier units it's back to business excavating units, tallying artifacts and paperwork! #BAFS40 #boydfs #archaeolog… 3 days ago
- Worried about your child's moods or behaviours? Talk to them. Access resources that can help at ow.ly/AKoz308EdHA 4 days ago
- RT @DungeyTod: @BlueWillowPS BBFK Prnt Session - Supporting parents with their child's transition in2 JK in Sept @YRDSB #summerlearning htt… 4 days ago
- We are pleased to announce that the amazing @CarolCampbell4 will be joining us again at #YRDSBQuest 2017! Register… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
Reflecting on the work of our school council
May 29, 2013Posted by on
Last night, our school council met for the final time for this school year. The last meeting provided us with an opportunity to reflect on our collective work and to celebrate success. Our council has much to be proud of this year. I am always impressed with how school council provides opportunities for families to come together. Our council has been a key partner in our art murals this year developed in our front foyer and in our Learning Commons. I thank them for their charitable work with our local community. I appreciate their commitment to the “big picture” at our school. Finally, how wonderful it has been for Elder’s Mills parents to already meet some of our parents thanks to our council’s support. We also look forward to their presence next week for our JK/SK student orientation visits.
No doubt, fundraising is an area that many people consider to be the role of school councils. The recent People for Education report looks at fundraising in schools this year. However, it is very important to acknowledge the work of the council across many aspects of our collective work. When they do support our work through their fundraising, I applaud how they always consider our school improvement plan. In the fall, I blogged about the impact of fundraising on our school improvement plan, specifically in the area of digital literacy. Council has also provided funding for the arts, literacy, our physical and health education programs, our learning commons and our Full Day Kindergarten program for which we are most grateful.
This blog post is a snapshot of the work our council does. I commend all members for their hard work this year. I would like to extend appreciation personally to our co-chairs Mrs Ubriaco and Mrs Turpin- Smith. I truly value their partnership with our school, their efforts to support student learning and their collaboration. They have also been most gracious whenever I call upon them to say a few words, often unexpectedly, at school assemblies.
As our council is a most diligent group, they have already set a tentative date for our first meeting next school year of Thursday September 19, 2013.
We look forward to our continued work together.
Please help me in congratulating council on another fine year over the closing weeks of this school year.