- ICYMI: Join Trustee Pang & Board Chair Carruthers for a #CoffeeChat in Unionville today from 3-5PM. Details:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- October 19 is #SpiritDay! Wear purple tomorrow to celebrate #LGBTQ youth and to take a stand against bullying! https://t.co/DBMDpnzqom 18 hours ago
- RT @AldergrovePS: @YRDSB @YRDSBArts This video captures the intentional & purposeful planning that goes into the murals & art at Aldergrove… 20 hours ago
- TOMORROW - #YRDSB Special Education Advisory Committee Meeting. Oct 19 at 7:00PM. Agenda available at:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 21 hours ago
- RT @YRDSBGetOut: Hey @YRDSB! Look at all the amazing, engaged educators at our Outdoor Education Advisory Committee Meeting!! https://t.co/… 22 hours ago
- RT @YouthON: In Ontario, it’s the law to report #childabuse. See it? Report it. It’s the law. https://t.co/dK8RexVqzj 23 hours ago
- Today Canada mourns the loss of an icon who will be missed fully and completely. #RIPGordDownie https://t.co/1G68WKBwfc 1 day ago
- To all those celebrating #Diwali, we would like to wish you and your families a very happy celebration! 1 day ago
- RT @iclarkeyclarke: Walked into @YRDSB CLL and greeted by a wall of inspiration....#educhat #education #leadership #artsed https://t.co/cBp… 1 day ago
- REMINDER - Friday, October 20 is a #PA day for #YRDSB elementary and secondary schools. 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
September 6, 2013Posted by on
“Aspiring to become the best we can be” is a line from our newly launched school touchstone. Our first week of school is now complete. This week was very much an opportunity to reflect on our aspirations for the year.
What did it look like?
It was visible, everywhere:
– Junior kindergarten students joining us for the first time beginning their journey, with excitement, curiosity and the occasional tear aspiring to greatness with their first steps of independence in school.
– Classrooms building communities of learners and thinkers; aspiring for collaborative groups and spaces for learning.
– Students attending our school for the first time, with little or no English language, working hard from day one. Welcome.
– Elder’s Mills community joining us, wondering what that transition would be like and certainly with aspirations in mind. Today, I say honestly, having walked our halls, our classrooms, our playground and our pathways that we very much feel whole, as one.
– Staff returning having learned, planned, prepared and aspiring to be the best they can be in their work each day.
We know too that as parents and guardians you have aspirations for your children. We do too.
Yesterday during our student assemblies, I asked students what their “mountain top moment” would be this year? What would they climb high to achieve even if it seemed far away? What would they aspire to be?
This weekend, please ask your child about their aspirations for this school year. We look forward to hearing back about their thoughts.
On behalf of the school community, thank you all for a wonderful, inspiring, first week.