- RT @PatriciaEGaspar: YRDSB Childrens Water Festival @yrdsb @YRDSBEcoSchools @yorkregionnews @YorkRegionGovt #kcss https://t.co/8MvAuPZ3Gq 12 hours ago
- Looking for some fun activities to do in August? Check out the 2017 #OntarioFunPass for all kinds of exciting deals… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- RT @ONedSsChat: @ONedSsChat #onted Ss learn how social media can be used to make a positive difference in the lives of others. Pls RT! #Stu… 16 hours ago
- RT @DungeyTod: Outdoor play time @YRDSB BBFK @VelloreWoods includes opportunities 4 learning in everything they do #yrdsbearlyyears #summer… 17 hours ago
- RT @HealthCanada: Kids are most vulnerable to extreme heat! Whether you’re provider or parent, be heat ready! ow.ly/icZy30dOr7H https… 18 hours ago
- ICYMI: #YRDSB is hiring Educational Assistants! Get your applications in today. Details: ow.ly/xAVl30dMrn7 #EA EducationalAssistant 1 day ago
- RT @ms_ldavidson: Last week at camp we traveled around the world and learned about the importance of story telling in different cultures #y… 1 day ago
- Youth Innovation by Design Students listen to professional podcaster @thejaywong & learn ways to expand personal br… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Congratulations #TeamOntario! #NAIG2017 twitter.com/IndigenousON/s… 1 day ago
- ICYMI: @CarolCampbell4 will be at #YRDSBQuest 2017! Will you? Registration is now open: ow.ly/fPuQ30dKxL6… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
September 6, 2013Posted by on
“Aspiring to become the best we can be” is a line from our newly launched school touchstone. Our first week of school is now complete. This week was very much an opportunity to reflect on our aspirations for the year.
What did it look like?
It was visible, everywhere:
– Junior kindergarten students joining us for the first time beginning their journey, with excitement, curiosity and the occasional tear aspiring to greatness with their first steps of independence in school.
– Classrooms building communities of learners and thinkers; aspiring for collaborative groups and spaces for learning.
– Students attending our school for the first time, with little or no English language, working hard from day one. Welcome.
– Elder’s Mills community joining us, wondering what that transition would be like and certainly with aspirations in mind. Today, I say honestly, having walked our halls, our classrooms, our playground and our pathways that we very much feel whole, as one.
– Staff returning having learned, planned, prepared and aspiring to be the best they can be in their work each day.
We know too that as parents and guardians you have aspirations for your children. We do too.
Yesterday during our student assemblies, I asked students what their “mountain top moment” would be this year? What would they climb high to achieve even if it seemed far away? What would they aspire to be?
This weekend, please ask your child about their aspirations for this school year. We look forward to hearing back about their thoughts.
On behalf of the school community, thank you all for a wonderful, inspiring, first week.