- Planning ahead? Find all 2017-18 #YRDSB holidays & PA Days here: ow.ly/GAwf30dMucT https://t.co/btTuVkIk4m 2 days ago
- Youth Innovation by Design Students are changing the game one #App at a time! yorkregion.com/news-story/742… 3 days ago
- We are hiring Educational Assistants. Apply today to join the #YRDSB team! Details: ow.ly/xAVl30dMrn7 #EducationalAssistant #EA 3 days ago
- Youth Innovation by Design Students working with robotics and putting their passions to the test! #innovation… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- Rediscover your inner child at the #YRDSBQuest Playground & explore well-being in a hands on environment! Register:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- Have your voice heard and help make Ontario #accessible for everyone! twitter.com/ONeducation/st… 3 days ago
- RT @TRCAarchaeology: With drier units it's back to business excavating units, tallying artifacts and paperwork! #BAFS40 #boydfs #archaeolog… 3 days ago
- Worried about your child's moods or behaviours? Talk to them. Access resources that can help at ow.ly/AKoz308EdHA 4 days ago
- RT @DungeyTod: @BlueWillowPS BBFK Prnt Session - Supporting parents with their child's transition in2 JK in Sept @YRDSB #summerlearning htt… 4 days ago
- We are pleased to announce that the amazing @CarolCampbell4 will be joining us again at #YRDSBQuest 2017! Register… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
Designated Early Childhood Educators and the work they do
October 30, 2013Posted by on
Over the last two weeks, I have shared with you the important work our care taking team and Educational Assistants do at our school and in our board. This week, I wanted to highlight the work of our Designated Early Childhood Educators (DECEs). This year, our school celebrates its fourth in the Early Years Learning Program that supports full day kindergarten. The program is a collaborative partnership between our classroom teachers Ms Bordin, Ms Gismondi and Ms Schmidt and our DECEs – Ms Karia, Ms Theis and Ms Chiaromonte. The teacher and DECE work together to implement the program for the students. Our DECEs have post-secondary diplomas or degrees in Early Childhood Education. The work they do is rich, and does include:
- Planning for and providing education to pupils in junior kindergarten and kindergarten.
- Observing, monitoring and assessing the development of pupils in junior kindergarten, kindergarten and extended day programs.
- Maintaining a healthy physical, emotional and social learning environment.
- Communicating with families.
- Providing supervision of and support to students in daily activities.
Our DECEs also bring experience and training in early childhood development. We are proud of the work the teams have done through the implementation years of the FDK program. The teams have also all explored classroom blogs to share their work with our families. Finally, I am pleased to share that this year, all of our DECEs will be certified Roots of Empathy instructors thanks to their commitment to the training and program.
Today is also a perfect day to celebrate our DECEs as it is Early Childhood Educator Appreciation Day.
Please help me in extending our appreciation to our DECEs.
If you have not yet had a chance to meet our DECEs, please do before or after school at our Kindergarten entry areas.