- RT @iclarkeyclarke: Walked into @YRDSB CLL and greeted by a wall of inspiration....#educhat #education #leadership #artsed https://t.co/cBp… 4 hours ago
- REMINDER - Friday, October 20 is a #PA day for #YRDSB elementary and secondary schools. 7 hours ago
- TONIGHT - #YRDSB Board Standing Committee meeting. Oct 17 at 7:00PM. Agenda available at: ow.ly/nHxb30fWaQC https://t.co/Vyg6XovoaU 8 hours ago
- Have a great idea for an article on student well-being? Make a submission to the #YRDSBQuest Journal by Nov 10 !… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Today is the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty. Together we can create peaceful and inclusive societies. @UN #EndPoverty 10 hours ago
- Time for #TextbookTuesday! Check out this high school book-keeping text from 1890 with the latest & greatest accoun… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- October is Child Abuse Prevention Month! Let’s work together to keep kids safe & wear purple on Oct 24 to show your… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Time for a #SchoolBusSafetyWeek tip! Remind your children to look both ways before they step off the bus. #STOPONRED https://t.co/xL6CO39lJi 1 day ago
- It's Waste Reduction Week! Show us how you're eliminating waste & join in the conversation with #WasteReductionWeek… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @yrdsbinclusion: Excited to launch our @yrdsbinclusion Twitter account. Follow us and join our learning journey. #yrdsb #equity #ontedeq… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Designated Early Childhood Educators and the work they do
October 30, 2013Posted by on
Over the last two weeks, I have shared with you the important work our care taking team and Educational Assistants do at our school and in our board. This week, I wanted to highlight the work of our Designated Early Childhood Educators (DECEs). This year, our school celebrates its fourth in the Early Years Learning Program that supports full day kindergarten. The program is a collaborative partnership between our classroom teachers Ms Bordin, Ms Gismondi and Ms Schmidt and our DECEs – Ms Karia, Ms Theis and Ms Chiaromonte. The teacher and DECE work together to implement the program for the students. Our DECEs have post-secondary diplomas or degrees in Early Childhood Education. The work they do is rich, and does include:
- Planning for and providing education to pupils in junior kindergarten and kindergarten.
- Observing, monitoring and assessing the development of pupils in junior kindergarten, kindergarten and extended day programs.
- Maintaining a healthy physical, emotional and social learning environment.
- Communicating with families.
- Providing supervision of and support to students in daily activities.
Our DECEs also bring experience and training in early childhood development. We are proud of the work the teams have done through the implementation years of the FDK program. The teams have also all explored classroom blogs to share their work with our families. Finally, I am pleased to share that this year, all of our DECEs will be certified Roots of Empathy instructors thanks to their commitment to the training and program.
Today is also a perfect day to celebrate our DECEs as it is Early Childhood Educator Appreciation Day.
Please help me in extending our appreciation to our DECEs.
If you have not yet had a chance to meet our DECEs, please do before or after school at our Kindergarten entry areas.