- RT @Ms_Karnad: Hey @WOWYorkRegion just reiterated the meaningful conference you’ve planned for May with @CedarwoodPS Leadership Team @YRDSB… 12 hours ago
- ICYMI: There's still time to register for #YRDSBOurVoice2018? Don't miss your chance to have your student voice hea… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- Yesterday we had the pleasure of honouring teachers from across our system for for their outstanding service as edu… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago
- #YRDSB this weekend we celebrate #EarthDay2018! Even though we wont be in the classroom you can still do your part… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 17 hours ago
- RT @becky_green_e: Incredible night at Hartman PS celebrating 10 years! What a show - singing, mass choir, instrumental, Bollywood dance an… 18 hours ago
- Way to go @WRPS_YRDSB! twitter.com/YorkRegionGovt… 1 day ago
- Calling all secondary #YRDSB students! Have you registered for #YRDSBOurVoice2018 yet? There's still time! Don't mi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- ICYMI: Yesterday our students engaged with the Workforce Planning Board of YR, artists, @TownofNewmarket represent… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- A huge thank you to everyone who attended our first #YRDSBTownHall last night! We had an amazing turnout with over… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @pines_ps: Amazing night at SPIFF. Silver Pines came together to put on an inspirational night. Our after party games like the gender to… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Designated Early Childhood Educators and the work they do
October 30, 2013Posted by on
Over the last two weeks, I have shared with you the important work our care taking team and Educational Assistants do at our school and in our board. This week, I wanted to highlight the work of our Designated Early Childhood Educators (DECEs). This year, our school celebrates its fourth in the Early Years Learning Program that supports full day kindergarten. The program is a collaborative partnership between our classroom teachers Ms Bordin, Ms Gismondi and Ms Schmidt and our DECEs – Ms Karia, Ms Theis and Ms Chiaromonte. The teacher and DECE work together to implement the program for the students. Our DECEs have post-secondary diplomas or degrees in Early Childhood Education. The work they do is rich, and does include:
- Planning for and providing education to pupils in junior kindergarten and kindergarten.
- Observing, monitoring and assessing the development of pupils in junior kindergarten, kindergarten and extended day programs.
- Maintaining a healthy physical, emotional and social learning environment.
- Communicating with families.
- Providing supervision of and support to students in daily activities.
Our DECEs also bring experience and training in early childhood development. We are proud of the work the teams have done through the implementation years of the FDK program. The teams have also all explored classroom blogs to share their work with our families. Finally, I am pleased to share that this year, all of our DECEs will be certified Roots of Empathy instructors thanks to their commitment to the training and program.
Today is also a perfect day to celebrate our DECEs as it is Early Childhood Educator Appreciation Day.
Please help me in extending our appreciation to our DECEs.
If you have not yet had a chance to meet our DECEs, please do before or after school at our Kindergarten entry areas.