- Louise is wrapping up at CLL and getting ready to head over to our Plant Services building! https://t.co/hewoW20u0m 15 minutes ago
- Louise is working her way through CLL meeting curriculum consultants, admin assistants, administrators and all the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 47 minutes ago
- The tour continues! Louise stopped in to an EA Professional Development session at our Centre for Leadership and Le… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Our new Director Louise Sirisko is out visiting Board sites today and getting to know the staff behind the scenes!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- RT @camillelogan: Great participation @MillikenMHS for the @YRDSB anti-Black racism consultation forum @YRDSBCECEast https://t.co/Gfwcgx8QZA 3 hours ago
- RT @Thomasci: Congrats @FossilHillPS @MapleCreekPS @MorningGloryPS & @WilshireES on receiving the 2018 #IGNITETechGrant Elementary Awards!… 20 hours ago
- RT @YRDSBEarlyYears: YRDSB Early Years and ESL Teams are excited to share a new resource for families of children in Kindergarten. "Talking… 23 hours ago
- Here's a sneak peek behind the scenes with our new Director @LouiseSirisko . Stay tuned for the feature presentatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Do you know a school team doing amazing work to foster a safe, inclusive and accepting school environment? Nominate… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Feeling the stress of exams? Did you know that if you study for a test in small chunks, you'll be more likely to re… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Designated Early Childhood Educators and the work they do
October 30, 2013Posted by on
Over the last two weeks, I have shared with you the important work our care taking team and Educational Assistants do at our school and in our board. This week, I wanted to highlight the work of our Designated Early Childhood Educators (DECEs). This year, our school celebrates its fourth in the Early Years Learning Program that supports full day kindergarten. The program is a collaborative partnership between our classroom teachers Ms Bordin, Ms Gismondi and Ms Schmidt and our DECEs – Ms Karia, Ms Theis and Ms Chiaromonte. The teacher and DECE work together to implement the program for the students. Our DECEs have post-secondary diplomas or degrees in Early Childhood Education. The work they do is rich, and does include:
- Planning for and providing education to pupils in junior kindergarten and kindergarten.
- Observing, monitoring and assessing the development of pupils in junior kindergarten, kindergarten and extended day programs.
- Maintaining a healthy physical, emotional and social learning environment.
- Communicating with families.
- Providing supervision of and support to students in daily activities.
Our DECEs also bring experience and training in early childhood development. We are proud of the work the teams have done through the implementation years of the FDK program. The teams have also all explored classroom blogs to share their work with our families. Finally, I am pleased to share that this year, all of our DECEs will be certified Roots of Empathy instructors thanks to their commitment to the training and program.
Today is also a perfect day to celebrate our DECEs as it is Early Childhood Educator Appreciation Day.
Please help me in extending our appreciation to our DECEs.
If you have not yet had a chance to meet our DECEs, please do before or after school at our Kindergarten entry areas.