- RT @yrdsbinclusion: Please join us for the upcoming EIAC community consultations. Check out flyers below for information & details. Third I… 3 hours ago
- RT @YorkRegionGovt: Is your school participating in #BikeToSchool Week? Private schools in York Region, @YRDSB and @YCDSB schools can regis… 3 hours ago
- TONIGHT - We will be @MHS_YRDSB hosting a town hall and gathering critical feedback to help influence the #YRDSB Mu… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- Our sincerest condolences to Renuka's family and @tdsb. Our thoughts are with your communities and families. twitter.com/tdsb/status/98… 7 hours ago
- RT @MsB_ELL: So proud of our Parkview students who got an honourable mention today for best picture at the water documentary film festival!… 7 hours ago
- Students and staff from @MillikenMHS will be taking it outside for #EarthDay and engaging in tangible environmental… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- @MillikenMHS will be taking it outside for #EarthDay and engaging in tangible environmental action projects through… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Today we honour the administrative staff that work behind the scenes in our Board to support student achievement an… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- There's still time to register for #YRDSBOurVoice2018! Get your registrations in by 12PM today. The event will take… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- Amazing! When life gives you lemons, make lemonade... Or in this case when life gives you an ice storm, make a stic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Literacy as an authentic activity
February 19, 2014Posted by on
Tomorrow night is our planned Family Literacy Night. We hope to see you there. One of the topics I will touch on in our opening sharing activity is how easy it is to find literacy in our every day lives. With reading for example, the Ministry of Education offers some strategies for parents of students in K-3 as well as 4-6. Both sites encourage us to find ways to “meet the child where they are”. Opportunities to read with your child, explore their interests, use opportunities like cooking to explore reading, and engaging in authentic opportunities to explore print, media, words, concepts and issues helps encourage and engage children in literacy.
Tomorrow is also an opportunity for us all to share authentic opportunities we have used as families to explore literacy.
No doubt, the examples will be plentiful.
Here’s to our collective sharing tomorrow.