- RT @ONThealth: It's not too late to make healthy goals for 2018! Check out these healthy #NewYear resolutions from @ParticipACTION (English… 2 hours ago
- Kindergarten registration is officially open! Learn more about the process or register your child today! Don't forg… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Walking through Plant Services, Louise met a friend who is also in their first week at the Board. Thanks for showin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- Last stop of the day, but definitely not the least is our Plant Services team! The staff that work behind scenes to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- Louise is wrapping up at CLL and getting ready to head over to our Plant Services building! https://t.co/hewoW20u0m 6 hours ago
- Louise is working her way through CLL meeting curriculum consultants, admin assistants, administrators and all the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- The tour continues! Louise stopped in to an EA Professional Development session at our Centre for Leadership and Le… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- Our new Director Louise Sirisko is out visiting Board sites today and getting to know the staff behind the scenes!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- RT @camillelogan: Great participation @MillikenMHS for the @YRDSB anti-Black racism consultation forum @YRDSBCECEast https://t.co/Gfwcgx8QZA 9 hours ago
- RT @Thomasci: Congrats @FossilHillPS @MapleCreekPS @MorningGloryPS & @WilshireES on receiving the 2018 #IGNITETechGrant Elementary Awards!… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: Designated Early Childhood Educators
November 28, 2013Posted by on
The first of three of our Roots of Empathy programs is now up and running. You will notice a familiar face in room 126 these days – Mrs. Miller is visiting from her maternity leave this year with her new baby Hudson! Ms Theis is our Roots of Empathy instructor who helps facilitate the sessions with the family and our students in class.
The team reports to us the following:
“The first three lessons were all about meeting and celebrating the baby and his family, as well as rules and routines to ensure the safety of the baby during the visit. At the pre visit session the children made predictions of what the baby is able to do in terms of physical and cognitive development, how tall he might be in comparison to a doll, learned routines, and the special welcome and goodbye song.”
October 30, 2013Posted by on
Over the last two weeks, I have shared with you the important work our care taking team and Educational Assistants do at our school and in our board. This week, I wanted to highlight the work of our Designated Early Childhood Educators (DECEs). This year, our school celebrates its fourth in the Early Years Learning Program that supports full day kindergarten. The program is a collaborative partnership between our classroom teachers Ms Bordin, Ms Gismondi and Ms Schmidt and our DECEs – Ms Karia, Ms Theis and Ms Chiaromonte. The teacher and DECE work together to implement the program for the students. Our DECEs have post-secondary diplomas or degrees in Early Childhood Education. The work they do is rich, and does include:
- Planning for and providing education to pupils in junior kindergarten and kindergarten.
- Observing, monitoring and assessing the development of pupils in junior kindergarten, kindergarten and extended day programs.
- Maintaining a healthy physical, emotional and social learning environment.
- Communicating with families.
- Providing supervision of and support to students in daily activities.
Our DECEs also bring experience and training in early childhood development. We are proud of the work the teams have done through the implementation years of the FDK program. The teams have also all explored classroom blogs to share their work with our families. Finally, I am pleased to share that this year, all of our DECEs will be certified Roots of Empathy instructors thanks to their commitment to the training and program.
Today is also a perfect day to celebrate our DECEs as it is Early Childhood Educator Appreciation Day.
Please help me in extending our appreciation to our DECEs.
If you have not yet had a chance to meet our DECEs, please do before or after school at our Kindergarten entry areas.