- RT @ONeducation: More Children Now Have Access to Before- And After-School Care news.ontario.ca/m/46278 https://t.co/XvAGWByk2j 12 hours ago
- Join us for a Coffee Chat with your local Trustee & Board Chair! First chat in #Georgina @KeswickHS on Sept 27 @ 7P… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- Next week is #SafetyWeek at #YRDSB and we want to see how our schools are staying safe! Share your activities with… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- RT @TLPCanada: Happy #InternationalDayOfPeace! Let's spread the love, respect and kindness today, tomorrow and every day. https://t.co/lRIn… 15 hours ago
- Next week #YRDSB will be celebrating #AllyWeek! Learn more about how you can be an Ally & join in the conversation… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 16 hours ago
- October 4 is #InternationalWalkToSchool day! Lace up your shoes, get active and enjoy a beautiful walk! Details:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 18 hours ago
- RT @BarbaraReidPS: #FramingFutures Whole school at #TerryFox kick-off assembly preparing for our run next week! @barbreidart @YRDSB https:/… 18 hours ago
- #YRDSB secondary students outperform provincial average in province-wide testing. Details: ow.ly/29GX30fj2kH 1 day ago
- To all those celebrating #RoshHashanah, we wish you and your families a very happy celebration! 1 day ago
- #YRDSB elementary students continue EQAO success by exceeding provincial averages. Details: ow.ly/E7rA30fiYzo 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: Designated Early Childhood Educators
November 28, 2013Posted by on
The first of three of our Roots of Empathy programs is now up and running. You will notice a familiar face in room 126 these days – Mrs. Miller is visiting from her maternity leave this year with her new baby Hudson! Ms Theis is our Roots of Empathy instructor who helps facilitate the sessions with the family and our students in class.
The team reports to us the following:
“The first three lessons were all about meeting and celebrating the baby and his family, as well as rules and routines to ensure the safety of the baby during the visit. At the pre visit session the children made predictions of what the baby is able to do in terms of physical and cognitive development, how tall he might be in comparison to a doll, learned routines, and the special welcome and goodbye song.”
October 30, 2013Posted by on
Over the last two weeks, I have shared with you the important work our care taking team and Educational Assistants do at our school and in our board. This week, I wanted to highlight the work of our Designated Early Childhood Educators (DECEs). This year, our school celebrates its fourth in the Early Years Learning Program that supports full day kindergarten. The program is a collaborative partnership between our classroom teachers Ms Bordin, Ms Gismondi and Ms Schmidt and our DECEs – Ms Karia, Ms Theis and Ms Chiaromonte. The teacher and DECE work together to implement the program for the students. Our DECEs have post-secondary diplomas or degrees in Early Childhood Education. The work they do is rich, and does include:
- Planning for and providing education to pupils in junior kindergarten and kindergarten.
- Observing, monitoring and assessing the development of pupils in junior kindergarten, kindergarten and extended day programs.
- Maintaining a healthy physical, emotional and social learning environment.
- Communicating with families.
- Providing supervision of and support to students in daily activities.
Our DECEs also bring experience and training in early childhood development. We are proud of the work the teams have done through the implementation years of the FDK program. The teams have also all explored classroom blogs to share their work with our families. Finally, I am pleased to share that this year, all of our DECEs will be certified Roots of Empathy instructors thanks to their commitment to the training and program.
Today is also a perfect day to celebrate our DECEs as it is Early Childhood Educator Appreciation Day.
Please help me in extending our appreciation to our DECEs.
If you have not yet had a chance to meet our DECEs, please do before or after school at our Kindergarten entry areas.