- ICYMI: The summer hours for 2017-18 school registration are now available on the Board website. Details: ow.ly/mqxL30cJX4d 23 minutes ago
- The unofficial vote tally from the June 23 #Georgina by-election is now available on the Town of Georgina website. ow.ly/D1OH30cTxNO 1 hour ago
- Have you applied for the Student Trustee Innovation grant? There's still time! Get your applications in by June 28. ow.ly/eeZg30cOqZ4 2 hours ago
- To all those who celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr, we wish you and your families a very happy celebration. ow.ly/Lci6301YAcO #EidMubarak 17 hours ago
- #YRDSB Graduation ceremony to be held for students of Adult Day School, PSW program and iGrad. Details: ow.ly/u3Xx30cQDga 2 days ago
- Flags at #YRDSB buildings are being flown at half-mast today - June 23 - to mark the National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism. 2 days ago
- The unofficial results of the #Georgina Trustee by-election will be available on the evening of June 23, 2017 at ow.ly/ZeX630cOMRp 2 days ago
- Please read the latest message from our Interim Director of Education, Kathryn Wallace. ow.ly/ZCWn30cQmeY 2 days ago
- RT @CBC: A guide to taking your family to a powwow for the first time cbc.ca/parents/learni… https://t.co/WrOMhBqXH3 3 days ago
- Today is Voting Day for the by-election to fill the #Georgina Trustee vacancy. Find your local polling station here… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: High school transition
April 14, 2014Posted by on
We thank the Ministry of Education for the following information:
Are you in grades 7 to 10? Need help with math homework? Then why not get live, online math tutoring from an Ontario teacher? It’s free and easy to sign up.
Setting up your account
To log in and register, you’ll need your Ontario Education Number (OEN), found at the top of your report card near your name.
Note: Homework Help is offered in English and is only available to students at publicly funded schools.
Live online tutoring
You can log in between 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. ET from Sunday to Thursday for one-on-one tutoring.
You can also join your grade’s tutor room to see what questions other students are asking and then watch teachers walk through problems on the group whiteboard.
November 13, 2013Posted by on
As I shared last month, we have started to plan for our grade 8 students and their transitions to high school. This is an exciting time if you have a child in grade 8.
In addition to our local high school programs, our board also offers Regional Programs. Please see the board’s Pathways page to learn more about the programs available for your child. We also have a page on our blog devoted to Pathways for your reference.
October 28, 2013Posted by on
We have been asked to share the following information:
Bill Crothers Secondary School (BCSS) is a system-wide school with a focus on healthy active living and sport. The school is open for Grade 9 to 12 students. Students and parents from across the region are invited to attend an information evening. Information will be shared regarding the vision, mission, schedule, programs, transfer policy and application process.
All information sessions will occur at Bill Crothers Secondary School, 44 Main Street, Unionville, Ontario, L3R 2E4 from 7 – 8:30 in the cafetorium.
Wednesday, October 30th – Students in the West & North Region
Tuesday, November 5th – Students in the East Region
Thursday, November 7th – Students in the Central Region
Due to building capacity regulations, we request that only students and parents interested in attending BCSS for the school year 2014 – 2015, attend one of these evening. Parking is limited so we ask that parents carpool or park at the GO Station. Markham By-law officers regularly enforce the parking regulations on school property.
Applications are due: Thursday, November 28th, 2013.
Please also see the additional resources:
October 2, 2013Posted by on
Our partner high school Emily Carr S.S will be hosting a number of events in preparation for our grade 8s graduating this year to grade 9. We thank them for the events outlined below. Students who will attend the new high school Tommy Douglas opening in September 2014 will have separate information sessions to be determined.
Take Our Kids to High School Wednesday, November 6, 2013
At Emily Carr Secondary School – each student will follow a schedule that will be provided to them.
Buses arrive by 9:15 a.m.Classes from 9:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.Lunch from 10:50 a.m. to 11:50 a.m.
Incoming grade 8 students from our Family of Public Schools have an opportunity to attend grade 9 classes and have lunch in the cafeteria. More details will be sent later.
Pathways to Opportunity Thursday, November 7, 2013
At Emily Carr Secondary School in the Cafetorium From 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Open to all students, parents, and teachers, from the ECSS and the WC family of schools interested in career planning resources.Representatives from over 50 post-secondary destinations covering all pathways will be available to respond to your questions. This is a fair style format. A flyer will be sent to your school to post.
Grade 8 teacher open house Wednesday, December 4, 2013
At Emily Carr Secondary School Open House from 8:10 a.m. to 10:50 a.m., and again from 11:50 a.m. to 2:25 p.m.Lunch Dialogue from 10:50 a.m. to 11:40 a.m. For grade 8 teachers who will be assisting students with course selections for grade 9.Teachers will be invited to experience grade 9 classes in session.Schools will receive data on mid-semester marks for their former students.Dates will be confirmed for visits in January.
Visits to Family of Schools for Grade 9 Course Selection Presentations January 14, 15, and 16, 2014
Times to be determined at the Open House in December. A Guidance Counsellor from ECSS will visit each school to speak with ECSS bound students about the ECSS program.
Grade 8 Parent Information Evening Tuesday, January 21, 2014
At Emily Carr Secondary School in the Cafetorium. From 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Parents/Guardians of incoming grade 8 students from our community are invited to hear about our programs and speak directly to subject and program leaders.
Grade 9 Course Selections Due on Career Cruising Date to be determined
Course selections completed online. Permission forms delivered to ECSS. All Grade 8’s in YRDSB have been given the same date this year.More instructions to follow.