- Parents - Here are some tips for speaking with your child after a tragic event. ow.ly/6qgD30jnP2u twitter.com/YRDSB/status/9… 5 hours ago
- Staff and students from @BarbaraReidPS will be celebrating their official opening celebration with the school's nam… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- Our thoughts, best wishes and support go out to all those affected by the incident involving a van and pedestrians… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- Hey #YRDSB, did you know it's Pitch-in Canada week? Do your part this week to help clean up, restore and beautify t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Have a passion for research? Interested in continuing your learning over the summer while getting 2 credits? Check… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- Please consider joining us at an upcoming consultation. ow.ly/WM7g30jD2PZ twitter.com/YRDSBDirector/… 11 hours ago
- RT @eqao: Are you a student in an Ontario public school between Grade 7 and 12? Do you want to make a difference in the work of EQAO? If y… 12 hours ago
- RT @ONeducation: Happy Canada Book Day! Reading to children and talking about their ideas helps them reach a deeper level of understanding.… 14 hours ago
- RT @CecilRoachSO: Thank you to our CEC North community for giving up your time on this beautiful spring day. @YRDSB truly values parent and… 1 day ago
- Getting to know each other at the @SWMSS_Ravens #YRDSBTownHall https://t.co/BqKPwfsrV5 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: History & Geography
On March 7, 2014, our staff engaged in a day of learning during our Professional Activity Day. The day was divided into three 100 minute learning blocks just like the students experience each day, but with a focus on our School Improvement Plan.P.A. Days are one of the many ways we engage in ongoing professional learning as a staff.
Our opening block provided us time to focus on mathematics. Our board has recently created a “Math Frame” whose components help to guide our overall work in numeracy, including: commitment, planning, assessment, engagement, instruction and relationships. We considered our own work within the frame and discussed next steps for us as a staff. We also had the opportunity to look at Ministry of Education research, including the article Supporting Numeracy: Building a Community of Practice.
Social Studies, History and Geography
In September 2014, our board will fully implement the revised Social Studies, History and Geography curriculum in our classrooms. We had the opportunity to examine what is new in the curriculum and compare it with our present work and understandings. The opening pages of the curriculum are interesting to explore as we did, particularly the concepts of disciplinary thinking (pg 13). We reflected on how inquiry based learning is an integral component of the curriculum. Our French teachers’ team was also able to spend time examining the recently revised French curriculum that has similarities as well.
Our afternoon concluded with a very special session led by one of our Designated Early Childhood Educators Ms. Theis. She was able to guide us through various art experiences that allowed us to learn and explore visual arts. The session used “provocations” to get us thinking, reflecting and inquiry in variety of ways linked to variety of curricular areas. Ms. Theis has recently started a professional blog and her inaugural post was about our learning session in the afternoon. Be sure to have a look for more wonderful pictures from the session like the one on left side of this page.
I want to thank all of the staff who helped to facilitate the day of learning and to everyone for their participation throughout the day.
Reflecting, learning, sharing: we ask of it of our students and so too of ourselves.
We look forward to putting the learning into action in the coming months of school.
Find what you need:
10th Anniversary AEDs Anti-bullying Assessment and Evaluation BlogFeedback Board Improvement Plan (BIP) Bus Information Caretaking Character Education Child Care Community, Culture and Caring Community Event Critical Thinking Designated Early Childhood Educators Digital Literacy Early Years Learning Program EcoSchools Elder's Mills' Transition ELL EQAO Equity and Inclusivity Feedback Sought French as a Second Language Good News Assemblies Health and Safety Healthy Living Choices High school transition History & Geography Information Item Inquiry Leadership Team Learning Learning Commons Literacy Monthly E-books Networked Learning New families Numeracy Oral Literacy Parent Engagement Positive Climates for learning Programs and Pathways Registering your child Report Cards Roots of Empathy Safe Schools School Council School Improvement Plan (SIP) School Planning School Touchstone Science&Technology September Startup Social Studies Staff leadership Staff professional learning Student Bloggers Student Council Student Success Student transportation Student Well Being Summer Learning Programs The Arts Trustee news twitter Uncategorized Update V.I.P program Weather conditions Well being YMCA York Region Police YRDSB news