- ICYMI: The summer hours for 2017-18 school registration are now available on the Board website. Details: ow.ly/mqxL30cJX4d 21 minutes ago
- The unofficial vote tally from the June 23 #Georgina by-election is now available on the Town of Georgina website. ow.ly/D1OH30cTxNO 1 hour ago
- Have you applied for the Student Trustee Innovation grant? There's still time! Get your applications in by June 28. ow.ly/eeZg30cOqZ4 2 hours ago
- To all those who celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr, we wish you and your families a very happy celebration. ow.ly/Lci6301YAcO #EidMubarak 17 hours ago
- #YRDSB Graduation ceremony to be held for students of Adult Day School, PSW program and iGrad. Details: ow.ly/u3Xx30cQDga 2 days ago
- Flags at #YRDSB buildings are being flown at half-mast today - June 23 - to mark the National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism. 2 days ago
- The unofficial results of the #Georgina Trustee by-election will be available on the evening of June 23, 2017 at ow.ly/ZeX630cOMRp 2 days ago
- Please read the latest message from our Interim Director of Education, Kathryn Wallace. ow.ly/ZCWn30cQmeY 2 days ago
- RT @CBC: A guide to taking your family to a powwow for the first time cbc.ca/parents/learni… https://t.co/WrOMhBqXH3 2 days ago
- Today is Voting Day for the by-election to fill the #Georgina Trustee vacancy. Find your local polling station here… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: History & Geography
On March 7, 2014, our staff engaged in a day of learning during our Professional Activity Day. The day was divided into three 100 minute learning blocks just like the students experience each day, but with a focus on our School Improvement Plan.P.A. Days are one of the many ways we engage in ongoing professional learning as a staff.
Our opening block provided us time to focus on mathematics. Our board has recently created a “Math Frame” whose components help to guide our overall work in numeracy, including: commitment, planning, assessment, engagement, instruction and relationships. We considered our own work within the frame and discussed next steps for us as a staff. We also had the opportunity to look at Ministry of Education research, including the article Supporting Numeracy: Building a Community of Practice.
Social Studies, History and Geography
In September 2014, our board will fully implement the revised Social Studies, History and Geography curriculum in our classrooms. We had the opportunity to examine what is new in the curriculum and compare it with our present work and understandings. The opening pages of the curriculum are interesting to explore as we did, particularly the concepts of disciplinary thinking (pg 13). We reflected on how inquiry based learning is an integral component of the curriculum. Our French teachers’ team was also able to spend time examining the recently revised French curriculum that has similarities as well.
Our afternoon concluded with a very special session led by one of our Designated Early Childhood Educators Ms. Theis. She was able to guide us through various art experiences that allowed us to learn and explore visual arts. The session used “provocations” to get us thinking, reflecting and inquiry in variety of ways linked to variety of curricular areas. Ms. Theis has recently started a professional blog and her inaugural post was about our learning session in the afternoon. Be sure to have a look for more wonderful pictures from the session like the one on left side of this page.
I want to thank all of the staff who helped to facilitate the day of learning and to everyone for their participation throughout the day.
Reflecting, learning, sharing: we ask of it of our students and so too of ourselves.
We look forward to putting the learning into action in the coming months of school.
Find what you need:
10th Anniversary AEDs Anti-bullying Assessment and Evaluation BlogFeedback Board Improvement Plan (BIP) Bus Information Caretaking Character Education Child Care Community, Culture and Caring Community Event Critical Thinking Designated Early Childhood Educators Digital Literacy Early Years Learning Program EcoSchools Elder's Mills' Transition ELL EQAO Equity and Inclusivity Feedback Sought French as a Second Language Good News Assemblies Health and Safety Healthy Living Choices High school transition History & Geography Information Item Inquiry Leadership Team Learning Learning Commons Literacy Monthly E-books Networked Learning New families Numeracy Oral Literacy Parent Engagement Positive Climates for learning Programs and Pathways Registering your child Report Cards Roots of Empathy Safe Schools School Council School Improvement Plan (SIP) School Planning School Touchstone Science&Technology September Startup Social Studies Staff leadership Staff professional learning Student Bloggers Student Council Student Success Student transportation Student Well Being Summer Learning Programs The Arts Trustee news twitter Uncategorized Update V.I.P program Weather conditions Well being YMCA York Region Police YRDSB news