- ICYMI: The summer hours for 2017-18 school registration are now available on the Board website. Details: ow.ly/mqxL30cJX4d 28 minutes ago
- The unofficial vote tally from the June 23 #Georgina by-election is now available on the Town of Georgina website. ow.ly/D1OH30cTxNO 1 hour ago
- Have you applied for the Student Trustee Innovation grant? There's still time! Get your applications in by June 28. ow.ly/eeZg30cOqZ4 2 hours ago
- To all those who celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr, we wish you and your families a very happy celebration. ow.ly/Lci6301YAcO #EidMubarak 17 hours ago
- #YRDSB Graduation ceremony to be held for students of Adult Day School, PSW program and iGrad. Details: ow.ly/u3Xx30cQDga 2 days ago
- Flags at #YRDSB buildings are being flown at half-mast today - June 23 - to mark the National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism. 2 days ago
- The unofficial results of the #Georgina Trustee by-election will be available on the evening of June 23, 2017 at ow.ly/ZeX630cOMRp 2 days ago
- Please read the latest message from our Interim Director of Education, Kathryn Wallace. ow.ly/ZCWn30cQmeY 2 days ago
- RT @CBC: A guide to taking your family to a powwow for the first time cbc.ca/parents/learni… https://t.co/WrOMhBqXH3 3 days ago
- Today is Voting Day for the by-election to fill the #Georgina Trustee vacancy. Find your local polling station here… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: Information Item
June 26, 2014Posted by on
To our students, staff and community
Four years ago, I started as principal at Lorna Jackson Public School. Those years have passed very quickly but have all been wonderful.
Schools, are all about learning.
So what have I learned?
This, I know to be true:
- We have wonderful students. Each one has inspired me in an different way. It has been amazing to watch our students learn and grow over this short time.
- Our staff help make wonderful things happen each day. Our collective work has covered many areas over the past few years. What has impressed me most, however, has been working with staff who embrace learning that they then take back to their classrooms, to the students and to the work that matters most.
- Our community cares deeply about its children and about our staff. The support of the Lorna Jackson Public School community has been unwavering and indeed inspiring. I also want to offer a special thanks to the community who joined us this year from Elders’ Mills P.S and helped expand our community even more. We came together, united in our work for our students. What a great year.
- The work we do together is the most important work.
I am deeply grateful to the students, to the staff and to the community for four memorable years. My life has been impacted by the experience at our school in so many positive ways. Your words to me this past week and over the past few months have been most touching. It has been an honour to have met you, worked with you, laughed with you and celebrated with you. Parents and guardians, thank you for trusting us with your children and for supporting them in their achievements. I would also like to extend my appreciation to our area superintendents and our school board chair Anna DeBartolo, all of whom have supported our work through the years.
It was 3 years ago, that we launched our blog that has helped us to capture our work, our learning and our accomplishments. I began then with a thought: “new frontiers for new learning”. Today, the line seems even more appropriate. Our journey never ends. Learning is always about new frontiers to explore and new stories to tell. And so, I now hand off this blog to Ms. Bongard who already has her first post drafted and her tweets ready to send. New stories await to be told. Ms. Bongard herself admits that blogging is a new frontier for herself. However, like a true learner, she has embraced the opportunity and looks forward to the journey ahead.
What is next for yourself?
Summer is an ideal time to pause and reflect on that question. Please enjoy time for yourselves, your families and the wonderful community you live in. To our students, please be safe, be kind and always reach for the stars.
I look forward to following your journey in the future.
Thank you again for your work with us through the years.
And, as always:
June 22, 2014Posted by on
As we enter the final week of the school year, here are some good reminders to help us finish off the school year:
– Please be sure your child brings home his/her clothing (including any remaining winter clothing) no later than June 25th.
– Lockers, cubbies and clothing hook areas should be cleaned out no later than June 25th. If your child has a lot of items to take home, we recommend s/he begins June 24th. There should be no items left at school on June 26th that belong to the child or his/her family.
– Please ensure your child does a thorough search at home for any library materials, textbooks, classroom books or materials. Please return any items no later than June 24th.
– Be sure to visit our school’s lost and found to reclaim any items. Any items not claimed by June 27th will be donated.
Your child’s report card will be sent home on the afternoon of June 25th.
Staff will also provide some time for students to help clean up for the end of the year, but your help is greatly appreciated too. Making sure we all do our part with the items listed above really help our care taking team who work hard all summer long preparing the school for our September start up.
Finally, please don’t forget that students are dismissed at 11:45 on June 26th. Students who take the school bus will be picked up at 11:45 and be dropped off at their regular school bus stop shortly thereafter.
Mr. Collins and Ms. Bongard
June 17, 2014Posted by on
June 17, 2014
A hard copy of this letter was sent home today with students.
To our parents and guardians,
Thank you again for your support and work with us this year at our school. It is hard to believe another school year is almost done. It has been a busy year at our school and we congratulate our students and staff on their hard work.
I wanted to take this time to welcome some new staff who will be joining our team next September. We welcome Ms. Harpreet Jassal who is currently teaching at Thornhill Woods P.S and Ms. Morgan Barnett joining us from German Mills P.S. Once again, we also welcome Ms. Bongard as our new principal next year and Ms. Lau who will be our school’s Vice Principal, half time.
We have a number of staff who will be leaving our school at the end of the month. We all want to wish Ms. Castrodale the very best as she begins her retirement. We wish Ms. Theis and Ms. Karia the very best as they transfer to Anne Frank P.S and Thornhill Woods P.S. respectively. Ms. Daryanani will be moving to Silver Stream Public School for next September. Ms. Bianchi and Ms. Rinaldi have both accepted teaching positions at Anne Frank P.S for next year. Ms. Schmidt and Ms. Abalos-Chocron will be moving to Robert Munsch P.S next September. We appreciate the work of Ms. Trivedi, Ms. Middleton, Ms. Roberts, Ms. Khoranchi and Ms. Tieri who will complete their long term occasional contracts at our school this year. We continue to wish Ms. Bomba well on her maternity leave and Ms. Gismondi who will be extending her child care leave next year.
I want to wish all of our staff the very best for their work ahead and thank them all for their contributions to our school.
June 13, 2014Posted by on
June 12, 2014
Dear parents and guardians
This letter is to inform you that Ms. Castrodale will be retiring effective June 30, 2014.
We want to thank Ms. Castrodale for her work not only at our school, but in our school board throughout her career. She has enjoyed working in a variety of roles including teaching in our Primary division at Lorna Jackson Public School. We appreciate Ms. Castrodale’s work at our school including pioneering our FDK program at Lorna Jackson. Ms. Castrodale has also contributed to various events at our school. We also appreciate her love of the arts, in particular music and drama, that she embeds in her classroom program.
Please join us in congratulating Ms. Castrodale at this exciting time in her life and for the fine work she has done at our school.
Greg Collins Mona Bongard
Principal Vice Principal