- ICYMI: The summer hours for 2017-18 school registration are now available on the Board website. Details: ow.ly/mqxL30cJX4d 33 minutes ago
- The unofficial vote tally from the June 23 #Georgina by-election is now available on the Town of Georgina website. ow.ly/D1OH30cTxNO 1 hour ago
- Have you applied for the Student Trustee Innovation grant? There's still time! Get your applications in by June 28. ow.ly/eeZg30cOqZ4 2 hours ago
- To all those who celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr, we wish you and your families a very happy celebration. ow.ly/Lci6301YAcO #EidMubarak 17 hours ago
- #YRDSB Graduation ceremony to be held for students of Adult Day School, PSW program and iGrad. Details: ow.ly/u3Xx30cQDga 2 days ago
- Flags at #YRDSB buildings are being flown at half-mast today - June 23 - to mark the National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism. 2 days ago
- The unofficial results of the #Georgina Trustee by-election will be available on the evening of June 23, 2017 at ow.ly/ZeX630cOMRp 2 days ago
- Please read the latest message from our Interim Director of Education, Kathryn Wallace. ow.ly/ZCWn30cQmeY 2 days ago
- RT @CBC: A guide to taking your family to a powwow for the first time cbc.ca/parents/learni… https://t.co/WrOMhBqXH3 3 days ago
- Today is Voting Day for the by-election to fill the #Georgina Trustee vacancy. Find your local polling station here… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: Learning
June 17, 2013Posted by on
We are most excited about tomorrow.
Tomorrow afternoon we welcome students from Elder’s Mills P.S to our school to meet us and help them learn more about our school. This will follow a morning session working with grade 7s from Elder’s and Lorna Jackson P.S to help draft our school touchstone. Over the past month we have collected data from our students, our staff and from our community. Our touchstone will build on our ongoing focus on Character Traits, equity and inclusivity.
Developing a common language of character and identifying the values and goals of a school community solidifies a school’s character initiative. When everyone — students, staff and parents– use the same words to describe behaviours and expectations, talking about how we interact becomes easier. A touchstone is a document which outlines these values, goals and behaviours.
Going through this process of identifying these core values unites a community around the way we believe people should behave, interact, and be.
Tomorrow, the exciting work begins on capturing what we value in our touchstone.
We can’t wait to share the results.
March 28, 2013Posted by on
We had a great night here at Lorna Jackson Public School. We extend our appreciation to our school council for running our Movie Night this evening. Over 250 students and family members joined us as a community. Special thanks to one parent who even loaned us the popcorn cart for our festivities. We were also delighted to be able to showcase our new mural – The Gathering Tree – recently completed. Once again, we thank our parent artist Mrs Guido for her vision and for inspiring our students to create a beautiful centerpiece in our main foyer.
We have really celebrated our community this past month. With a decade of good work completed as a school community, and with Elder’s Mills students and families set to join us in September, now is a perfect time to dream about where we go next.
We will announce a very special initiative soon that I am most excited about.
In advance of the initiative, I would like us to begin with a concept we use in education called “Minds On” which is a strategy that allows us to:
• establish a positive learning environment
• connect to prior learning and/or experiences
• set a context for learning
For this “virtual Minds On”, I want us to consider the following two points:
– Who are “we” as an LJPS community?
– What do we believe in as an LJPS community?
Feel free to respond here with your thoughts.
Your thoughts will very much help us in the work we are about to engage in next month.
If you have enjoyed what we have done so far…..
………..we think you are really going to love what we have planned next.
March 25, 2013Posted by on
Thanks to one of our parents for inquiring about resources her family could use at home with children.
Here are some starting points:
- Tumblebooks is a resource we have purchased to support reading at home. Our site license username is: ljps password is: books
- Bookflix is another wonderful resource to support reading with your child. Our username: dsbyork password: dsby7692
- Last week we sent home hard copies of the Ministry Document Reading and Writing with your Child from the Ministry of Education.
- Adlit.org is another website focused on adolescent literacy for parents and educators.
- Last week we sent home hard copies of Doing Mathematics with Your Child from the Ministry of Education.
- Brainpop is a fun site with math activities that your child can enjoy at home.
- For our intermediate learners, the Ministry of Education offers it’s free math tutoring supports.
We hope you enjoy these resources to support your child’s learning at home.