- RT @ONThealth: It's not too late to make healthy goals for 2018! Check out these healthy #NewYear resolutions from @ParticipACTION (English… 2 hours ago
- Kindergarten registration is officially open! Learn more about the process or register your child today! Don't forg… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Walking through Plant Services, Louise met a friend who is also in their first week at the Board. Thanks for showin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- Last stop of the day, but definitely not the least is our Plant Services team! The staff that work behind scenes to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- Louise is wrapping up at CLL and getting ready to head over to our Plant Services building! https://t.co/hewoW20u0m 6 hours ago
- Louise is working her way through CLL meeting curriculum consultants, admin assistants, administrators and all the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- The tour continues! Louise stopped in to an EA Professional Development session at our Centre for Leadership and Le… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- Our new Director Louise Sirisko is out visiting Board sites today and getting to know the staff behind the scenes!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- RT @camillelogan: Great participation @MillikenMHS for the @YRDSB anti-Black racism consultation forum @YRDSBCECEast https://t.co/Gfwcgx8QZA 9 hours ago
- RT @Thomasci: Congrats @FossilHillPS @MapleCreekPS @MorningGloryPS & @WilshireES on receiving the 2018 #IGNITETechGrant Elementary Awards!… 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: Literacy
February 24, 2014Posted by on
Thank you to everyone who braved the winter weather and joined us for our Family Literacy Night on February 20, 2014. We want to thank our staff who helped plan and facilitate the evening. We are happy to share some resources from the evening including:
- The first powerpoint presentation shared in the gym
- Intermediate Literacy Activity
- Literacy Night Entry Ballot
We appreciate everyone’s contributions to the evening.
February 19, 2014Posted by on
Tomorrow night is our planned Family Literacy Night. We hope to see you there. One of the topics I will touch on in our opening sharing activity is how easy it is to find literacy in our every day lives. With reading for example, the Ministry of Education offers some strategies for parents of students in K-3 as well as 4-6. Both sites encourage us to find ways to “meet the child where they are”. Opportunities to read with your child, explore their interests, use opportunities like cooking to explore reading, and engaging in authentic opportunities to explore print, media, words, concepts and issues helps encourage and engage children in literacy.
Tomorrow is also an opportunity for us all to share authentic opportunities we have used as families to explore literacy.
No doubt, the examples will be plentiful.
Here’s to our collective sharing tomorrow.
February 13, 2014Posted by on
To our community,
We have one week to go until our Family Literacy Evening. Today, our school Leadership Team met to review the finishing touches on the evening. We think you are going to really enjoy what we have planned. The evening will begin at 6:30 p.m. in our school gym where I will start us off with a shared reading of a wonderful book called Questions, Questions. We will then break off into various locations throughout the school where staff will share with families different tips and strategies for you to consider with your own children. Our Learning Commons will also open it’s doors to allow families to see texts that are available for students to sign out. Don’t forget we also have a draw for special prizes.
Thank you to those families who have returned the sign up forms indicating that you will be attending – this really helps us to know our numbers for the evening.
We look forward to seeing our families next week.