- ICYMI: The summer hours for 2017-18 school registration are now available on the Board website. Details: ow.ly/mqxL30cJX4d 30 minutes ago
- The unofficial vote tally from the June 23 #Georgina by-election is now available on the Town of Georgina website. ow.ly/D1OH30cTxNO 1 hour ago
- Have you applied for the Student Trustee Innovation grant? There's still time! Get your applications in by June 28. ow.ly/eeZg30cOqZ4 2 hours ago
- To all those who celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr, we wish you and your families a very happy celebration. ow.ly/Lci6301YAcO #EidMubarak 17 hours ago
- #YRDSB Graduation ceremony to be held for students of Adult Day School, PSW program and iGrad. Details: ow.ly/u3Xx30cQDga 2 days ago
- Flags at #YRDSB buildings are being flown at half-mast today - June 23 - to mark the National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism. 2 days ago
- The unofficial results of the #Georgina Trustee by-election will be available on the evening of June 23, 2017 at ow.ly/ZeX630cOMRp 2 days ago
- Please read the latest message from our Interim Director of Education, Kathryn Wallace. ow.ly/ZCWn30cQmeY 2 days ago
- RT @CBC: A guide to taking your family to a powwow for the first time cbc.ca/parents/learni… https://t.co/WrOMhBqXH3 3 days ago
- Today is Voting Day for the by-election to fill the #Georgina Trustee vacancy. Find your local polling station here… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: Literacy
February 24, 2014Posted by on
Thank you to everyone who braved the winter weather and joined us for our Family Literacy Night on February 20, 2014. We want to thank our staff who helped plan and facilitate the evening. We are happy to share some resources from the evening including:
- The first powerpoint presentation shared in the gym
- Intermediate Literacy Activity
- Literacy Night Entry Ballot
We appreciate everyone’s contributions to the evening.
February 19, 2014Posted by on
Tomorrow night is our planned Family Literacy Night. We hope to see you there. One of the topics I will touch on in our opening sharing activity is how easy it is to find literacy in our every day lives. With reading for example, the Ministry of Education offers some strategies for parents of students in K-3 as well as 4-6. Both sites encourage us to find ways to “meet the child where they are”. Opportunities to read with your child, explore their interests, use opportunities like cooking to explore reading, and engaging in authentic opportunities to explore print, media, words, concepts and issues helps encourage and engage children in literacy.
Tomorrow is also an opportunity for us all to share authentic opportunities we have used as families to explore literacy.
No doubt, the examples will be plentiful.
Here’s to our collective sharing tomorrow.
February 13, 2014Posted by on
To our community,
We have one week to go until our Family Literacy Evening. Today, our school Leadership Team met to review the finishing touches on the evening. We think you are going to really enjoy what we have planned. The evening will begin at 6:30 p.m. in our school gym where I will start us off with a shared reading of a wonderful book called Questions, Questions. We will then break off into various locations throughout the school where staff will share with families different tips and strategies for you to consider with your own children. Our Learning Commons will also open it’s doors to allow families to see texts that are available for students to sign out. Don’t forget we also have a draw for special prizes.
Thank you to those families who have returned the sign up forms indicating that you will be attending – this really helps us to know our numbers for the evening.
We look forward to seeing our families next week.