- A final thanks and goodbye from Interim Director, Kathryn Wallace & Elder Laureen Blu Waters! A huge thanks goes ou… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- @ThatHannahAlper asks all the educators in the room to take a pledge to do everything in their power to end bullyi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- RT @ontteacher01: One thing that resonated with me at #YRDSBQuest was the power of saying YES from @ThatHannahAlper . What resonated with y… 15 hours ago
- RT @AnetaFishman: “As educators how will we create a supportive environment?” @RashmiSwarup reflects on the power student voice and the imp… 15 hours ago
- "It behooves us to remove negative environments and build promise for students and community." Patrick Case https://t.co/QLHgNluvRn 15 hours ago
- RT @andreahaefele: Packed house @yrdsbHighgatePS #Wellbeing #YRDSBQuest w/ Performance + @BeharryRashma & I #HSCertES @YRDSB https://t.co/J… 15 hours ago
- RT @CarolCampbell4: .@Anniekidder discussing need for coherence & integration among competences & #Wellbeing #YRDSBQuest @yrdsb https://t.c… 16 hours ago
- RT @CarolCampbell4: Absolutely delighted to welcome @ThatHannahAlper back to #YRDSBQuest It has been a #MomentUS year from Hannah, looking… 16 hours ago
- @Anniekidder is back on the #YRDSBQuest stage and is talking about demigods and doing more! https://t.co/haublViCnA 16 hours ago
- RT @Thomasci: Loving this Ephemeral Nature Art by students at @TDSS_YRDSB #YRDSBQuest https://t.co/2NgiGqBgro 16 hours ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: Numeracy
April 14, 2014Posted by on
We thank the Ministry of Education for the following information:
Are you in grades 7 to 10? Need help with math homework? Then why not get live, online math tutoring from an Ontario teacher? It’s free and easy to sign up.
Setting up your account
To log in and register, you’ll need your Ontario Education Number (OEN), found at the top of your report card near your name.
Note: Homework Help is offered in English and is only available to students at publicly funded schools.
Live online tutoring
You can log in between 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. ET from Sunday to Thursday for one-on-one tutoring.
You can also join your grade’s tutor room to see what questions other students are asking and then watch teachers walk through problems on the group whiteboard.
November 19, 2013Posted by on
Today, a group of staff from our school welcomed a team of staff from Carrville Mills P.S to engage in professional learning in the area of mathematics. The team included curriculum consultants, teachers, Designated Early Childhood Educators and administrators. The staff worked in classrooms that ranged from Kindergarten to intermediate classes. The learning and professional dialogue today was rich and I want to thank the educators who collaborated so effectively together.
As a school we focused on student engagement and enthusiasm to support students in persevering through math tasks. One classroom looked at curricular expectations related to money (ex. value of coins, determining combinations of coins for priced items) and another class looked at reading and interpreting secondary data to draw conclusions. There was time provided to take the curricular expectations and create a learning goal for the lesson we would teach today.
Mathematics is a focus of our School Improvement Plan; so too is job embedded professional learning for our staff. Today we examined research to support our planning such as how our classroom environments can foster math thinking and math talk. We talked about making mathematics real for students and linking it to real world applications wherever possible. Finally, I was impressed with how staff asked questions themselves about what the mathematics instruction should look like and sound like. As teams we spent time planning and then we actually went into two classrooms and co-taught the lessons. At the end, there was time to debrief on what we saw and heard from the students. It was a powerful learning model both for students and for us as adults.
I have said it before, and will say it again: I have the best job in the world. Each day, I get to watch magic happen thanks to our students, staff and community. Today was another fine example of the magic of our collaborative work together.