- RT @TowanaBrooks: Gratitude to @Giidaakunadaad1 for challenging educators to think critically about Canada’s truth in the history of Coloni… 1 hour ago
- RT @UNHumanRights: Every #HumanRights leader had dreams for a better world. They made their dreams possible. You can too. “It always seem… 18 hours ago
- Congratulations to Marta from @glenshieldsps who won two gold medals and one silver medal as she represented Canada… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- RT @HistoricaCanada: #OTD in 1948 the @UN adopted the universal declaration of human rights. John Humphrey, a lawyer from Montréal, was a p… 19 hours ago
- RT @ONeducation: It’s not too late to have your say on Ontario’s education system! Share your thoughts with us today: https://t.co/IYHUoS… 20 hours ago
- RT @yrdsb_skills: Registration for space requests for our YRSC events opens tomorrow- December 10th at 9am! #YRSC2019 @YRDSB https://t.co/… 21 hours ago
- An amazing #Broadway calibre performance from such an incredibly talented group of students! @AMHS_Music… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago
- TOMORROW - #YRDSB Board Meeting. December 11, 2018 at 7:30PM. Agenda available at: ow.ly/7kHb30mVDHK https://t.co/q72hu7lqUW 23 hours ago
- RT @YRDSBDirector: “To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.” – Nelson Mandela #InternationalHumanRightsDay #… 1 day ago
- Good morning #YRDSB! A little #MondayMotivation for everyone to kick off the week! https://t.co/400EQab79Y 1 day ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: Programs and Pathways
October 2, 2013Posted by on
Our partner high school Emily Carr S.S will be hosting a number of events in preparation for our grade 8s graduating this year to grade 9. We thank them for the events outlined below. Students who will attend the new high school Tommy Douglas opening in September 2014 will have separate information sessions to be determined.
Take Our Kids to High School Wednesday, November 6, 2013
At Emily Carr Secondary School – each student will follow a schedule that will be provided to them.
Buses arrive by 9:15 a.m.Classes from 9:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.Lunch from 10:50 a.m. to 11:50 a.m.
Incoming grade 8 students from our Family of Public Schools have an opportunity to attend grade 9 classes and have lunch in the cafeteria. More details will be sent later.
Pathways to Opportunity Thursday, November 7, 2013
At Emily Carr Secondary School in the Cafetorium From 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Open to all students, parents, and teachers, from the ECSS and the WC family of schools interested in career planning resources.Representatives from over 50 post-secondary destinations covering all pathways will be available to respond to your questions. This is a fair style format. A flyer will be sent to your school to post.
Grade 8 teacher open house Wednesday, December 4, 2013
At Emily Carr Secondary School Open House from 8:10 a.m. to 10:50 a.m., and again from 11:50 a.m. to 2:25 p.m.Lunch Dialogue from 10:50 a.m. to 11:40 a.m. For grade 8 teachers who will be assisting students with course selections for grade 9.Teachers will be invited to experience grade 9 classes in session.Schools will receive data on mid-semester marks for their former students.Dates will be confirmed for visits in January.
Visits to Family of Schools for Grade 9 Course Selection Presentations January 14, 15, and 16, 2014
Times to be determined at the Open House in December. A Guidance Counsellor from ECSS will visit each school to speak with ECSS bound students about the ECSS program.
Grade 8 Parent Information Evening Tuesday, January 21, 2014
At Emily Carr Secondary School in the Cafetorium. From 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Parents/Guardians of incoming grade 8 students from our community are invited to hear about our programs and speak directly to subject and program leaders.
Grade 9 Course Selections Due on Career Cruising Date to be determined
Course selections completed online. Permission forms delivered to ECSS. All Grade 8’s in YRDSB have been given the same date this year.More instructions to follow.
December 2, 2012Posted by on
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs are rapidly expanding throughout the York Region District School Board. We now have 28 of 31 secondary schools offering these valuable programs and next year, we hope to see 30 of 31 schools running one or more SHSM programs . The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) allows students to specialize in a specific economic sector (e.g. Health and Wellness, Business, Manufacturing, Arts & Culture, etc) while fulfilling all requirements for their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). 100% of students in SHSM programs have had an enhanced educational experience with contextualized learning, and additional experiential learning to enable them to make more informed post-secondary destination decisions. Grade 7 & 8 students and their families are encouraged to browse through the SHSM literature to investigate some programs that may be of interest to them.
Secondary schools will be sharing SHSM information at their Grade 8 Open Houses for families.
To learn more about SHSM, please visit:
Just a reminder that the Grade 8 Information Night for secondary school (for 2013 enrollment) at Emily Carr S.S. had been scheduled for January 22, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. and at Woodbridge College S.S. for January 17, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. If you are the parent or guardian of a grade eight student who you anticipate will be attending Emily Carr S.S., please mark down this date. Additional details will be shared in the weeks and months to come.
Additional information about high school transition can be found on our Programs and Pathways page of our blog.
November 21, 2012Posted by on
We have started to plan for our grade 8 students and their transitions to high school.
The Grade 8 Information Night for secondary school (for 2013 enrollment) at Emily Carr S.S. had been scheduled for January 22, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. and at Woodbridge College S.S. for January 17, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. If you are the parent or guardian of a grade eight student who you anticipate will be attending Emily Carr S.S., please mark down this date.
Our board also offers Regional Programs as follows
Alexander Mackenzie High School
• Arts Information Evening: Thursday, October 18, 2012, at Richmond Hill
Centre for Performing Arts (RHCPA) between 7:00 & 9:00 p.m.
• Applications Due: Friday, November 30, 2012
• Assessments Occur: January 24 – 28, 2013
Huron Heights Secondary School
• Arts Information Afternoon: Saturday, December 1, 2012, at Huron Heights
Secondary School at 1:30 p.m.
• Applications Due: Friday, December 21, 2012
Unionville High School