- ICYMI: The summer hours for 2017-18 school registration are now available on the Board website. Details: ow.ly/mqxL30cJX4d 36 minutes ago
- The unofficial vote tally from the June 23 #Georgina by-election is now available on the Town of Georgina website. ow.ly/D1OH30cTxNO 1 hour ago
- Have you applied for the Student Trustee Innovation grant? There's still time! Get your applications in by June 28. ow.ly/eeZg30cOqZ4 2 hours ago
- To all those who celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr, we wish you and your families a very happy celebration. ow.ly/Lci6301YAcO #EidMubarak 17 hours ago
- #YRDSB Graduation ceremony to be held for students of Adult Day School, PSW program and iGrad. Details: ow.ly/u3Xx30cQDga 2 days ago
- Flags at #YRDSB buildings are being flown at half-mast today - June 23 - to mark the National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism. 2 days ago
- The unofficial results of the #Georgina Trustee by-election will be available on the evening of June 23, 2017 at ow.ly/ZeX630cOMRp 2 days ago
- Please read the latest message from our Interim Director of Education, Kathryn Wallace. ow.ly/ZCWn30cQmeY 2 days ago
- RT @CBC: A guide to taking your family to a powwow for the first time cbc.ca/parents/learni… https://t.co/WrOMhBqXH3 3 days ago
- Today is Voting Day for the by-election to fill the #Georgina Trustee vacancy. Find your local polling station here… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: Safe Schools
October 31, 2013Posted by on
Each morning, our school is required to complete attendance for each class. If a child is absent we must confirm with the child’s parents the reason for absence from school. If your child is absent from school, or significantly late, you must call 905-893-2829 and dial 1 to leave a message. Our secretarial staff then check the voice mail message system to confirm absences recorded by our teachers. Some general guidelines when leaving a message include:
1) Please do call if your child is absent or planning to arrive late to school. Our school starts at 8:45 a.m so any time after that the student is late and a call is required.
2) If your child is away please ensure the school office is aware. There may be times when notes in the agenda are not received promptly. We appreciate information going to our staff, but a call in to our office is required so the office staff can confirm absences.
3) When you call, please spell the first, last name and also leave the name of the child’s teacher.
4) Please call 905-893-2829 and dial 1 to leave a message. Leaving information in staff’s personal voice mail may not be received in time for the start of classes.
5) The legal parent of the child absent must call in as opposed to a friend, a sibling or neighbor relaying the information to us.
6) When dropping off your child during the school day please make sure you sign in your child in the green binder on the front counter.
Please note that if we are unable to verify where a student is, we must follow Board policy and procedure #665: “if all contact and emergency number have been tried and a student is still deemed to be absent without explanation, contact York Regional Police immediately;”.
We appreciate your help in supporting the Safe Arrivals program.
Decisions to close our schools rest with the York Region District School Board using the Extreme Weather guidelines and policy which states “The York Region District School Board is committed to having each school within the Region open every instructional day”. As such, it is important students attend school regularly and punctually each and every day.
October 16, 2013Posted by on
This year, we are fortunate to have four Educational Assistants assigned to our school. Educational Assistants support our school’s work and the work as outlined in our board’s Special Education Plan. We have two special education assistants: Ms. Kim and Ms Massaro. We also have two Child and Youth Workers: Mr. Van Horne and Ms McKenzie. Each staff member brings different skill sets to our school, but the overall work remains the same: supporting all of our students to improve student achievement, success and well bring.
Our educational assistants hired by our Board are also trained in a number of ares including:
– Working as part of a school team;
– Behaviour management, de-escalation strategies, and developing safety plans;
– Supervision of students;
– Physical care of students;
– Health and safety of staff and students;
– Accommodations for students with special education needs.
Our educational assistants work in different classrooms and assist with yard supervision throughout the day. This year, all four of our educational assistants are new to our team. Both Ms Bongard and myself have been so impressed with how they have quickly become active members of our school community and have supported our school improvement plan so readily. We appreciate the hard work they do for all of our students each day. We also want to thank them for attending our Meet the Staff event at the beginning of the month.
If you haven’t had a chance to meet our Educational Assistants yet, please do. Feel free to introduce yourself to them at either the beginning or end of our school day.
Mr. Collins & Ms Bongard