- ICYMI: The summer hours for 2017-18 school registration are now available on the Board website. Details: ow.ly/mqxL30cJX4d 29 minutes ago
- The unofficial vote tally from the June 23 #Georgina by-election is now available on the Town of Georgina website. ow.ly/D1OH30cTxNO 1 hour ago
- Have you applied for the Student Trustee Innovation grant? There's still time! Get your applications in by June 28. ow.ly/eeZg30cOqZ4 2 hours ago
- To all those who celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr, we wish you and your families a very happy celebration. ow.ly/Lci6301YAcO #EidMubarak 17 hours ago
- #YRDSB Graduation ceremony to be held for students of Adult Day School, PSW program and iGrad. Details: ow.ly/u3Xx30cQDga 2 days ago
- Flags at #YRDSB buildings are being flown at half-mast today - June 23 - to mark the National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism. 2 days ago
- The unofficial results of the #Georgina Trustee by-election will be available on the evening of June 23, 2017 at ow.ly/ZeX630cOMRp 2 days ago
- Please read the latest message from our Interim Director of Education, Kathryn Wallace. ow.ly/ZCWn30cQmeY 2 days ago
- RT @CBC: A guide to taking your family to a powwow for the first time cbc.ca/parents/learni… https://t.co/WrOMhBqXH3 3 days ago
- Today is Voting Day for the by-election to fill the #Georgina Trustee vacancy. Find your local polling station here… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
New frontiers for new learning
Category Archives: School Touchstone
April 2, 2014Posted by on
It is hard to believe have started the final 3 months of the school year. It seems like just yesterday when we launched the new school year and our school touchstone. In April, we are focusing on how we can “think before we act”. This sentiment is important in all of our work together be it in the classroom, in our hallways, our outside during our recesses. School is about us learning in the academic subjects, but it is also about us learning how to work together. Please take time this month to talk to your child about this aspect of our school touchstone and also to celebrate the moments when your child(ren) demonstrates thinking before acting.
February 4, 2014Posted by on
We are half way through this school year, and it has been exciting to see how classes are using our newly created School Touchstone. So far this year, we have reflected on the following:
In September we focused on aspiring to become the best we can be.
In October we reflected on how working together is a process.
In November, we reflected on how we are respectful of others and of ourselves.
In December, we reflected on helping those in need.
In January, we reflected on how not to be afraid to accept the challenge of the harder path.
And this month we are reflecting on how we ensure that when one of us falls, others will surely be there.
This last sentiment has been explored in a lot of different ways at our school. Our School Positive Climates for Learning Committee has been listening to students with respect to how to build a supportive community where we each support one another. Grade 6s have considered the role of the bystander and bully through both the V.I.P program and work in their classrooms. Indeed, there are good examples we see throughout our school where students take initiative to help each other out. “Doing the right thing” isn’t always easy, however we have seen examples of students taking courageous steps to help support other students. Through our work with our touchstone this year, we are seeing and hearing students making some great choices to “be there”.